• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

signed a deal wthout being charged

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



my husband was arrested in wyoming over one year ago for possession of a controlled substance. they took him to the county jail and further added bringing drugs into a jail (felony) to the list of possible chrages. he was never formally charged with any of these but the da offered a deal that he plead guilty to the possesion, get one year probation but has to leave the state. he signed the deal, quit his job and left the state. they never had him appear in court over this, they just had him sign it in the clerks office and told him to get out of town since he signed the deal. we called a few months after the deal was signed and asked where to send the fine money. they said that the papers had never been filed and if they filed it, a sherrif would serve him with papers saying he was charged. there is not even a case number associated with this. can they have him sign a deal without ever being charged? now it has been a year since he signed the deal, is it over now? is his probation over? we are scared to ask the court,it seems like they are doing illegal things. he did have a lawyer during all this and he advise him to sign it since he was facing a felony charge.



This is what happens when you don't prepare yourself, you don't get organized and you just put your faith on a bunch of yahoos at the D.A.'s office (big hint -- many of them have no clue what to do or what is going on). Even public defenders are bad lawyers many times.

So...what do you do? Does the public defender's office have a record of all of this paperwork? If so, get it, copy it and then call a private criminal defense attorney to file -- why? His constitutional rights were VIOLATED IN A VERY VERY BIG way if everything you say is true.


I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential