• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Signed contract, need help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

djtomy

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Florida

I signed a contract not being totaly aware of it. After a big hurriane I had damage to my home with no Insuance. Minutes after the police let home owners back to their homes from the Hurricane people were walking through each other houses assesing damages, So not knowing this "buyer person" and them knowing that I didn’t have any Insurance to pay for the repair. he asked for my fax # and said I ma be able to help me. A few weeks later on a sat this same unexpected person shows up at my door, in only swim shorts and a bottle of beer in one hand. He asked if I received a fax that he sent. I said yes. The fax was a modified copy (Contract) agreement between my neighbors house this person. We talked about my home and the damages from the hurricane. He suggested he would pay to have the home repaired so I could live there. in return for selling him the property to him. I never looked at the papers that were faxed, (I know bad idea) this buyer asked if he could make some changes. I told it is not a good time for me to consider selling. I also told him I would not do any agreements without a lawyer present. He insisted to tell me that I could trust him, and the contract was only binding by the deposit of an escrow check he gave to me. and also said You can show these papers to your lawyer on Monday and if you decide to sell deposit the check. “You can trust me” because I wasn’t sure of this agreement, I asked him repetitively, I’m not sure about this and he assured me about the contract only being binding upon my layers approval and depositing of the escrow check he gave me. I called the so called buyer that monday after talking to a lawyer. I told him there were mistakes on the contract, Dates, and The fact that there were severe damages to the home, that werent metioned (Home has since been repaired in order to live in the home). I also told him wasn’t interested in selling. He told me he was disappointed. he's now sueing me for my house. Is they any help for me? I cant sell my home If I never intented to, Especially for 250,000 less then whats its worth.

BelizeBreeze

djtomy said:

I signed a contract not being totaly aware of it.
And if you are over the age of 18 that's not an excuse.
After a big hurriane I had damage to my home with no Insuance.
Again, your choice not to provide insurance on your own home.
Minutes after the police let home owners back to their homes from the Hurricane people were walking through each other houses assesing damages, So not knowing this "buyer person" and them knowing that I didn’t have any Insurance to pay for the repair. he asked for my fax # and said I ma be able to help me. A few weeks later on a sat this same unexpected person shows up at my door, in only swim shorts and a bottle of beer in one hand. He asked if I received a fax that he sent. I said yes. The fax was a modified copy (Contract) agreement between my neighbors house this person. We talked about my home and the damages from the hurricane. He suggested he would pay to have the home repaired so I could live there. in return for selling him the property to him. I never looked at the papers that were faxed, (I know bad idea) this buyer asked if he could make some changes. I told it is not a good time for me to consider selling. I also told him I would not do any agreements without a lawyer present. He insisted to tell me that I could trust him, and the contract was only binding by the deposit of an escrow check he gave to me. and also said You can show these papers to your lawyer on Monday and if you decide to sell deposit the check. “You can trust me” because I wasn’t sure of this agreement, I asked him repetitively, I’m not sure about this and he assured me about the contract only being binding upon my layers approval and depositing of the escrow check he gave me. I called the so called buyer that monday after talking to a lawyer. I told him there were mistakes on the contract, Dates, and The fact that there were severe damages to the home, that werent metioned (Home has since been repaired in order to live in the home). I also told him wasn’t interested in selling. He told me he was disappointed. he's now sueing me for my house. Is they any help for me? I cant sell my home If I never intented to, Especially for 250,000 less then whats its worth.
You can sell your house, even if you never intended to. Assuming you are an adult.

Your ONLY course of action and hope is to contact your state's attorney general's office division of consumer fraud and file a complaint.

JETX

You need to do what you should have done before.... take all the documents to a local attorney and have him/her review them.

djtomy

I accually did take it to an attorney, that monday 2 days after the contract sighning, he's handleing my case. I just dont feel confident. I just know there has to be a mistake in the contract or something, that will make this contract void. In fact there is a date that is wrong and that was never changed or insihled. I guess my real question is, Is there anything that I can do to help my case before it goes to the judge. I have 2 good things going for me that is 1. the deposit check that was never deposited, ( I have it in my possession) and 2. the wrong date on the contract that says " If this offer is not executed by and delivered to all parties OR FACT OF EXECUTION communicated in writing between the parties on or before February 23, 2005 the deposit will at buyer's option, be returnedand this offer returned." I sighned it and dated it after that date. :confused:

JETX

djtomy said:
1. the deposit check that was never deposited, ( I have it in my possession)
Sorry, your depositing, or not depositing, the 'deposit check' has nothing to do with the validity of the contract...... unless that is a written condition IN the contract.

and 2. the wrong date on the contract that says " If this offer is not executed by and delivered to all parties OR FACT OF EXECUTION communicated in writing between the parties on or before February 23, 2005 the deposit will at buyer's option, be returnedand this offer returned." I sighned it and dated it after that date.
Sorry, again, not relevant. The court will likely find it a simple or inadvertant error and, likely make the contract binding as of the last date (at best). Or could find your 'false-dating' to be 'unclean' and find against you anyway.

HomeGuru

djtomy said:

I signed a contract not being totaly aware of it.. ..... I never looked at the papers that were faxed..... I also told him I would not do any agreements without a lawyer present..... He insisted to tell me that I could trust him..............

**A: you got scammed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">