• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Signed lease and paid deposit - now they are trying to back out.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nancyware77

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL

I signed a lease on August 25, 2014 and paid a deposit which was deposited. I noticed a for rent sign back up so I emailed to see what was going on. They told me they sent a letter and they are sorry and now will not respond. The move in date is for 10/1/14. Is this legal? What would be some next steps? Any help is appreciated.

justalayman

They told me they sent a letter and they are sorry and now will not respond.
they sent a letter concerning what?

Unless there is something in your application or lease that would allow them to rescind the lease at this point, no, they cannot legally deny you from taking occupancy. So, was there something such as the lease approval was pending a credit check or something else that might allow them to rescind it??

I would suggest an "in person" contact if you are not getting responses via email.

nancyware77

The lease is all signed by both parties and they deposited the check to hold the place. My background check and credit was ran and approved and the I have all emails showing this. I was asked to come look at the place before placing the deposit. Went there, did the walk through, signed the lease and paid. This was on August 25, 2014 to begin on 10/1/14. They held this for 12 days and only said they sent a letter yesterday. If I did not drive by the place I would not have known as they did this before even contacting me. There is nothing in the lease saying they can back out. I can 't find anything online about this - only tenants trying to get out.

It seems they (tenants) loose all their money when they try to get out and in FL responsible for rent until the place gets rented. What about landlords????? I only have like 2 weeks to find a place and this does not seem right or fair. Any advice is helpful so thank you!!!!

STEPHAN

From what you wrote here - if there is no additional data - you should be absolutely secure.

Feel free to PM me your e-mail and I would take another look at the lease.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">