• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SIGNED LEASE BEFORE VIEWING PROPERTY & DON'T WANT TO MOVE IN AFTER VIEWING

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I hastily signed a lease before viewing the property of a rental for myself & my 12-year-old
because I had nowhere to live. I viewed the property two weeks ago & it is in a crime & drug ridden area unsuitable for my child to be in. I told the landlord & he refuses to let me back out. I did not even move in (move in date was supposed to be 7/19).

STEPHAN

How long is the lease term?

Why would it be the landlord's fault that you failed to inspect the area?

It's not the landlord's fault. There wasn't a CO in place either before the lease was signed. It is my mistake to have signed it but have given reason and way before the move in date. I'm just trying to see if I have a right circumstantially. It's a year lease.

zddoodah

There wasn't a CO in place either before the lease was signed.
What is a "CO"? Why does it matter that there wasn't one in place before the lease was signed?

but have given reason and way before the move in date.
You said you first viewed the property and told the landlord that you didn't want to move in two weeks ago. You also said that the move-in date was five days ago. That means you told the landlord no more than 9 days before the move in date. That's hardly "way before the move in date."

I'm just trying to see if I have a right circumstantially.
A right to what?

If you're asking if your failure to do due diligence on the rental property before signing the lease gives you a right to terminate the lease without the landlord's agreement, the answer is no.

You are, of course, free to default on the lease. You'll need to give the landlord clear notice that you're doing so. The landlord will have a duty to mitigate damages by trying to find another tenant. You'll be liable for unpaid rent through the earlier of the following: (1) the end of the lease term; (2) the effective date of a new tenant's lease; or (3) the date by which the landlord, using reasonable diligence, could have found a new tenant. Also keep in mind that, if the landlord can't find someone to pay the same rent, you'll be liable for the difference between the rent you agreed to pay and the lower rent paid by the new tenant.

I cannot live there and it is relisted for rent. I'm getting no response from the landlord about me backing out and am just trying to see my right and or repercussions

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
What is a "CO"? Why does it matter that there wasn't one in place before the lease was signed?
CO, usually COO = Certificate Of Occupancy, meaning the property has been inspected by Code Enforcement and deemed habitable.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I cannot live there and it is relisted for rent. I'm getting no response from the landlord about me backing out and am just trying to see my right and or repercussions
AFAIK, you’re bound by the lease you signed until/unless the LL finds a new tenant. It’s not their fault you signed in haste.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">