• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Signed Time Sheet under duress - did not put name or initials

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MichiganWorker

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

Hi,

I recently had issues with my employer, who is paying me for 28 hours, when I work 48 hours each week.

Under the much appreciated guidance of the Law Experts here, I contacted the Department Of Labor and they are launching an investigation into my work place.

- Recently, I was asked to come into the office, and my employer wanted me to sign my Time Sheets which reflect that I work 48 hours - and they wanted me to write "actual 28" on the sheets, stating that I worked 28 hours, instead.

This was late at night, so I couldn't step out and contact my Caseworker at the Depertment Of Labor to ask for advice.

I said, "Can I sleep on it and do it tommorow?"

My employer and his General Manager sitting across from him, both looked at me raising their eyebrows and were like, "Huh??"

They said, "We need this signed right now - we're faxing the Time Sheets to the Department Of Labor tonight - you have to sign right now."

They continued, "Write 'Actual 28' and then sign your Initials."

They handed me the papers and I signed "Actual 28" - but I did not sign my Initials.

I instead put a check mark.

Seeing as how I didn't put my name or my Initials on the Time Sheet - is it still official?

This was signed under duress, and I didn't want to sign it and the "28 hours" they wanted me to write there is illegal, as I work 48 hours (and my Schedule paper reflects that)

If I signed it under duress and didn't add my name or Initials, is it still technically official and legally-binding?

- Thanks a lot for all your help you guys. I really didn't know what to do and am upset I was forced to sign the paper.

I really need your help and appreciate it. Thank you.

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

Hi,

I recently had issues with my employer, who is paying me for 28 hours, when I work 48 hours each week.

Under the much appreciated guidance of the Law Experts here, I contacted the Department Of Labor and they are launching an investigation into my work place.

- Recently, I was asked to come into the office, and my employer wanted me to sign my Time Sheets which reflect that I work 48 hours - and they wanted me to write "actual 28" on the sheets, stating that I worked 28 hours, instead.

This was late at night, so I couldn't step out and contact my Caseworker at the Depertment Of Labor to ask for advice.

I said, "Can I sleep on it and do it tommorow?"

My employer and his General Manager sitting across from him, both looked at me raising their eyebrows and were like, "Huh??"

They said, "We need this signed right now - we're faxing the Time Sheets to the Department Of Labor tonight - you have to sign right now."

They continued, "Write 'Actual 28' and then sign your Initials."

They handed me the papers and I signed "Actual 28" - but I did not sign my Initials.

I instead put a check mark.

Seeing as how I didn't put my name or my Initials on the Time Sheet - is it still official?

This was signed under duress, and I didn't want to sign it and the "28 hours" they wanted me to write there is illegal, as I work 48 hours (and my Schedule paper reflects that)

If I signed it under duress and didn't add my name or Initials, is it still technically official and legally-binding?

- Thanks a lot for all your help you guys. I really didn't know what to do and am upset I was forced to sign the paper.

I really need your help and appreciate it. Thank you.
Why didn't you just say no and walk out of the room?

MichiganWorker

Why didn't you just say no and walk out of the room?
The Department Of Labor asked me not to reveal the intent of their investigation to my employer.

I thought at the time that not signing would somehow jeopardize the investigation.

That's why I added the "actual 28" but no name or signature and instead just a check mark.

Since my name and initials are not signed on the Time Sheet, is it still official and legally-binding?

I can't go back in time and make it so I didn't write on the Time Sheet - so thinking that "what if" is pointless and useless.

I only need to know if not signing my name or Initials prevented the document from being considered as my consent - since my name or Initials are nowhere to be found on the document.

Thank you.

LdiJ

The Department Of Labor asked me not to reveal the intent of their investigation to my employer.

I thought at the time that not signing would somehow jeopardize the investigation.

That's why I added the "actual 28" but no name or signature and instead just a check mark.

Since my name and initials are not signed on the Time Sheet, is it still official and legally-binding?

I can't go back in time and make it so I didn't write on the Time Sheet - so thinking that "what if" is pointless and useless.

I only need to know if not signing my name or Initials prevented the document from being considered as my consent - since my name or Initials are nowhere to be found on the document.

Thank you.
They probably wrote your initials on it themselves. You need to contact your caseworker and let them know what happened.

xylene

The DOL has you working as a mole, so I think they take your case seriously.

Anyway, you can't just write "Actual 28" on a sheet that reflects 48 hours of work. Signed or checked or whater, that's still clearly a document that is internally conflicting. So like some of the documented hours were voluntary? That's not even reasonable.

Contact your case worker and keep them posted.

Honestly this could have been the action the DOL were looking for.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">