• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Signing a parent agreement plan

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Texasjack33

I’m having my ex sign a parenting plan with a notary, if I had added something in the plan that would award me sole custody with her having visitation would it hold? It says she gets every other weekend with some holidays. I had our names switched in the document that she said was okay. She won’t read it before signing it. This is the initial custody plan. We have not seen a courtroom. We are running this route because neither of us have lawyers, and don’t want to go to court. This is in the state of Texas

LdiJ

I’m having my ex sign a parenting plan with a notary, if I had added something in the plan that would award me sole custody with her having visitation would it hold? It says she gets every other weekend with some holidays. I had our names switched in the document that she said was okay. She won’t read it before signing it. This is the initial custody plan. We have not seen a courtroom. We are running this route because neither of us have lawyers, and don’t want to go to court. This is in the state of Texas
Custody is fluid and modifiable based on the best interest of the children. Therefore, if you do something iffy to establish primary or sole legal custody its quite possible that it could later be changed.

Also, all a notary does is verify the signatures of the parties on a document. A notarization does not establish anything legally. Therefore, unless your agreement is signed off by a judge, therefore making it a court order, it won't be legally binding.

t74

Court orders benefit all - especially the children. It is in the best interest of all to go through legal channels to establish enforceable custody and visitation.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Wow. Just.... wow. Sleazeball move.

And..... unless it's court-ordered It's not enforceable. Notarization does nothing but verify the identity of the signatories.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">