• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

signing my name

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



My husband and I are not living together I resently found out that he signed my name on both the state and federal tax returns. He got the fedaral check n the mail and got it cashed. By mistake I got the state check. At one point when we were geetin along I had told him to sign my name because he said we would split the money. Now he fesuses to give me any of it. I wont cash this check and have him be able to hold it against me but is there anything that can be done to him?



I am a recent law grad currently awaiting Bar results. This answer in no ways construes an attorney-client relationship.

It would seem it might be a case of forgery.
However, if you need to settle this immediately, contact a tax attorney at attorneypages.com....I am sure they will have the answer for you of you may do.
In the meantime, it is always a good idea to not cash the check...although I don't suspect cashing it will affect his liability, you may just want to hold onto it anyway.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential