• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

signing new lease

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kopes

What is the name of your state? MN

I have been renting a house for the past 3 years. For some background, I live in a small college town and 90% of rentals here are by college students. I am a single mother with 2 kids. The landlords, understandably, cater to the college kids. They also charge $800 for a rundown house, because they can get away with it. My lease is good until June 30, 2005. However, my landlord always asks me in January to sign a new lease because if I don't he advertises for new tenants. That seems to be when the college begin looking for new housing for the upcoming year. The house I live in is not in good shape and I would LOVE to move, but never know if I will be able to find anything. I don't like to say no to renewing the lease in Jan. and then not find a place in June. Can the landlord expect me to sign a lease six months before the old one is up, effectively trapping me for 1 1/2 years? I tried putting off the signing this past Jan. and he had people looking at the house 2 days later, so I panicked and signed the damn thing. Had a chance to move to a better place in March, but couldn't because I signed the damn lease trapping me in the house until June 2005. This guy drives me nuts.

HomeGuru

kopes said:
What is the name of your state? MN

I have been renting a house for the past 3 years. For some background, I live in a small college town and 90% of rentals here are by college students. I am a single mother with 2 kids. The landlords, understandably, cater to the college kids. They also charge $800 for a rundown house, because they can get away with it. My lease is good until June 30, 2005. However, my landlord always asks me in January to sign a new lease because if I don't he advertises for new tenants. That seems to be when the college begin looking for new housing for the upcoming year. The house I live in is not in good shape and I would LOVE to move, but never know if I will be able to find anything. I don't like to say no to renewing the lease in Jan. and then not find a place in June. Can the landlord expect me to sign a lease six months before the old one is up, effectively trapping me for 1 1/2 years?

**A: yes, and you can politely refuse to sign. It's as simple as that.
I tried putting off the signing this past Jan. and he had people looking at the house 2 days later, so I panicked and signed the damn thing. Had a chance to move to a better place in March, but couldn't because I signed the damn lease trapping me in the house until June 2005. This guy drives me nuts.
**A: damn nuts I would say.

kopes

It is not that easy. Yes I can politely refuse to sign, but then the landlord says "I am going to show the place and whoever signs first (in Jan.) will get the house at the end of June". This is exactly what he did. So then I "politely refuse to sign" and I have no place to live because I didn't want to sign a new lease 6 months early. Why should he be able to let new people sign a lease for the house I live in 6 months before my lease is up??

HomeGuru

kopes said:
It is not that easy. Yes I can politely refuse to sign, but then the landlord says "I am going to show the place and whoever signs first (in Jan.) will get the house at the end of June". This is exactly what he did. So then I "politely refuse to sign" and I have no place to live because I didn't want to sign a new lease 6 months early.

**A: so IT IS that easy. You have 2 options, either do not sign or sign. Simple.
Why should he be able to let new people sign a lease for the house I live in 6 months before my lease is up??

**A: there is no law restricting a landlord from leasing a house in advance.
Landlord can lease the house now for a term commencing in 2005, 20011 or even 2525.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">