• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Signing Waiver for Contractor to complete Landlord Improvement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

egrhockeyfan

Hi. I live in North Carolina. My landlord is requiring tenants to sign a release waiver form from a contractor. The form release them from any damages they cause in the apartment and makes me responsible for them. They are resurfacing the bathtub with overspray. I have not been able to locate a clause that says I need to sign waivers provided by the landlord's contractor. I know they have the right to have work done in the apartment. Let me know if I am required to sign the waiver and any recourse if the contractor damages the apartment. Thank you.

egrhockeyfan

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I suspect that if you fail to sign the waiver, you won't have the work done.

Feel free to contact an attorney for a thorough review of your rental agreement and the waiver.

quincy

Without the benefit of knowing what gave rise to the need for tub resurfacing and without reading the release of liability waiver, I will say that it seems unreasonable at best for a property owner to expect a tenant to sign a waiver releasing a contractor from liability for damages the contractor might cause to the tenant's property.

FarmerJ

Had you considered completely emptying the bathroom of ALL your personal property while this work is being done, then taking before and after pics for your own records so this way if there is something that is damaged during the repairs ( damages to LLs property ) you will have a record of it should there be any problems with the landlord and your deposit funds ? ( If your personal property is out of the way when this work is done then there should be no other issue to be concerned about after you sign it)

quincy

Signing the waiver could be a big mistake if, as egrhockeyfan says, the tenant becomes responsible for any damages "to the apartment" caused by the contractor.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">