• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Simple Battery hearing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TESTAROSA

My husband has been charged with GA 16-5-23(a)(1) - SIMPLE BATTERY - INSULT/PROVOKE in Cobb County, GA. He was at work and came up behind a young girl and goosed her saying "It's too quiet in here". She was eating/reading and did not seem concerned at all. About an hour later, my husband was called to the store managers office; the leader on duty was there as well as a Cobb County Sheriff. Apparently, this young girl had gone to the leader on duty crying and hysterical regarding "the incident". He of course, called the store manager. The sheriff told my husband that he could be arrested then and there but he would leave it in the employers hands. My husband was then told by the manager that he was being suspended without pay until further notice and she would call and let him know what "corporate HR" had decided. A day or so later, the young girl told the manager that she would not file any charges (I realize it is her right to do so even if she states she won't). Four days later, my husbnd got the call from the manager that he was terminated as of the date of the "incident". About 7 - 10 days later, he gets a "NOTICE OF HEARING" in the mail for 16-5-23(a)(1) - SIMPLE BATTERY - INSULT/PROVOKE. What are we to do now or does anyone have any words of wisdom?

LdiJ

My husband has been charged with GA 16-5-23(a)(1) - SIMPLE BATTERY - INSULT/PROVOKE in Cobb County, GA. He was at work and came up behind a young girl and goosed her saying "It's too quiet in here". She was eating/reading and did not seem concerned at all. About an hour later, my husband was called to the store managers office; the leader on duty was there as well as a Cobb County Sheriff. Apparently, this young girl had gone to the leader on duty crying and hysterical regarding "the incident". He of course, called the store manager. The sheriff told my husband that he could be arrested then and there but he would leave it in the employers hands. My husband was then told by the manager that he was being suspended without pay until further notice and she would call and let him know what "corporate HR" had decided. A day or so later, the young girl told the manager that she would not file any charges (I realize it is her right to do so even if she states she won't). Four days later, my husbnd got the call from the manager that he was terminated as of the date of the "incident". About 7 - 10 days later, he gets a "NOTICE OF HEARING" in the mail for 16-5-23(a)(1) - SIMPLE BATTERY - INSULT/PROVOKE. What are we to do now or does anyone have any words of wisdom?
What do you mean be "he goosed her"? Did he just startle her by speaking when it was quiet, or did he actually touch her in some way?

TESTAROSA

What do you mean be "he goosed her"? Did he just startle her by speaking when it was quiet, or did he actually touch her in some way?
He walked into the room and "touched/goosed" her - like you would be kidding around with someone, trying to get them to smile or laugh.

LdiJ

He walked into the room and "touched/goosed" her - like you would be kidding around with someone, trying to get them to smile or laugh.
Please define what you mean by "goosed". For many people the word "goosed" would mean an inappropriate kind of touch. That is why I have been trying to get you to explain what you mean by that.

From webster.com:

goose
verb
goosed; goosing

Definition of goose (Entry 2 of 2)

transitive verb 1 : to poke between the buttocks with an upward thrust

If your husband did that, its no wonder that he is being charged.

Mass_Shyster

From Urban Dictionary:
Goosed
Old school definition: to pinch someone's buttocks, hopefully the opposite sex, but hey, you take what you get.
Here in Mass, that would be charged as indecent assault and battery

TESTAROSA

Please define what you mean by "goosed". For many people the word "goosed" would mean an inappropriate kind of touch. That is why I have been trying to get you to explain what you mean by that.

From webster.com:

goose
verb
goosed; goosing

Definition of goose (Entry 2 of 2)

transitive verb 1 : to poke between the buttocks with an upward thrust

If your husband did that, its no wonder that he is being charged.
He DID NOT poke her in the buttocks; he poked her in the ribs...

LdiJ

He DID NOT poke her in the buttocks; he poked her in the ribs...
Okay, then if its your husband who first described it as "goosed" he needs to stop saying that and say that he poked her in the ribs, and if its you who first described it as "goosed" you need to stop as well.

However, men sometimes do not understand the amount of force used to poke someone in the ribs can really hurt. If nothing else, your husband needs to take a lesson from this that its not appropriate at all to touch a coworker in any way.

TESTAROSA

Okay, then if its your husband who first described it as "goosed" he needs to stop saying that and say that he poked her in the ribs, and if its you who first described it as "goosed" you need to stop as well.

However, men sometimes do not understand the amount of force used to poke someone in the ribs can really hurt. If nothing else, your husband needs to take a lesson from this that its not appropriate at all to touch a coworker in any way.
Soooo, what do we do now? Do we have any recourse or what do we do to explain this at the hearing coming up?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">