• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

sink hole liability - storm drain from public street

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pac72

What is the name of your state? pa

there is a drainpipe for storm drain on my street . the pipe runs down my side yard roughly on the property line. it goes 80 feet then makes a 45 degree angle for about 20 ft into a swale on my neighbors property where it terminates,
the issue is where it makes the 45. it looks like its say a 16 in pipe on the main run , but where it makes the 45 it looks like they used a smaller diameter pipe to slip it inside the larger pipe to hodgepodge a 45 instead of the proper fitting.
after we had record 11 inch rains 10 days ago this hodgepodge connection naturally washed out a hole in my yard.
I am unaware of a rightaway on the property for this pipe., since this is for the street drainage should the repair of a sub par connection be on the township even though its on my property
/

pac72

Doesn't matter what we think.

Call the township and ask.
that's my plans..just looking for an opinion, mine is its their pipe on my property, been adding dirt to the area in question since we moved in here 4 yrs ago.. I could fix it way better than it is , but seeing it drains a township road the maint of the drain should be on them..
that's what I pay taxes for , and our township is not cheap on the taxes

HRZ

Do as much homework as you can via deeds and plot plans first before you ask, and take good pictures of the washout . Some of these older pipe deals were poorly worded/documented as to "maintenance " and you may find township tries to punt. Then be an intelligent squeaky wheel.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">