• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sister is holding my life insurance policy my mother left me when she died.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

etabunny

What is the name of your state? California

Hope someone could responde to my desperate plight. Here it goes

My mother died around 8 years ago. When she died she left me an insurance policy she paid off. I took my mothers death vary hard and ended up in the hospital for 3 months. During the time of my mothers passing and me being in the hospital, my sisters sold my mothers house and took responsibility of the policy that she left me. I have tried on several occasions to find information and collect on my inheritance, but my sisters claim that my mother had the inheratance for me, for when I die and that inheritance will pay for my funeral. Plus, my sister that has my policy is the beneficiary of my death (which I did not know because my mother paid for the inheritance).

Plus, I just got married and would like to borrow from my inheritance and change my wife to be the sole beneficiary. My sister will not give me any information on my policy. Plus, I have a feeling that there are more policys but that she will not tell me about the other money. How do I find out if I have more policies that were left to me? Or if she has cashed out any of my policies? I deal with a vary untrustworthy family member and am vary poor and in a bad health state?

When I die? Will the money go to my sister ,since she is the beneficary or my new wife?

Please I need your help

Thanks

K

knotcops

Since your family seems to be disfunctionable, consult an attorney about the situation.

Dandy Don

My sympathies for you having to deal with a stressful difficult situation.

What you have been told by your sister does not truly make sense and I think you are being lied to so that sister could steal from the estate or hide things from you.

You need to visit the county courthouse probate court (for whatever city your mother died in) to see if your mother had a last will and testament and if it was probated in court--if there is a file for her, you can visit the courthouse to look at the file in person or order copies by mail. There may or may not be a mention of the insurance policies in there, since insurance policies do not need to go through probate, but at least you will have some idea of whether you were named in the will or not and how the entire estate was handled.

Can you afford to hire an attorney at this time to try to get information from your sister in a court proceeding? That is probably the only way to get satisfaction.

Other things to consider is to talk to a local doctor or private investigator about how you can order your mother's medical records through a medical records bureau--frequently those medical records contain the name of insurance companies that made inquiries about your mother's health and if there is a record of the name of the insurance company that made inquiry about your mother's health at the time they issued the policy, you can use the name of the company to trace the address and phone number.

There is also a website called www-L-LIFEINSURANCE.COM (lost life insurance) that will, for an $89 fee, search the top 400 insurance companies in the US for a policy.

The story about keeping an inheritance for you sounds like a mean trick to keep you ignorant and in the dark--if it is true (which I doubt) then you have every right to find out about the details NOW and not wait until after you are dead--what good will it do you then??? It really does look like this sister has done a mean number on you.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected]

E

etabunny

SISTER HAS LIFE INSURANCE POLICY..

Currently im collecting social security because of health reason. I have little to no money to find a lawyer to help me find out more information of what my sister has done

I have found out the insurance company name and phone number but they say they can't help me because they need policy numbers (which my sister has)

Question? Can i walk into the insurance company and show proof of who I am and make changes to the policy? I think my sister has been a co-signer of some sort?

Note back: My mother did not have a will

Question? If I die and leave a Will stating my wife to receive any or all benefits or insurance money, will that void my sister inheriting the life insurance policy if I die? I live in the state of california and I want my wife to receive all benefits when i die.

Thanks

K

knotcops

You will need to find out who OWNS the policy. Only the owner may make any changes and is entitled to any information about the policy.

Dandy Don

Visit the website www.insurance.ca.gov (the California Insurance Commissioner) and click on the "CONSUMER REQUEST" link in blue letters on the left side of the webpage to get the address and phone number to file a complaint with him about this. He has the authority to investigate it. It seems a bit shoddy for the insurance company to claim they need policy numbers when they should also be able to search by using your mother's name, your sister's name and YOUR name.

Also visit the website www.naupa.org and click on the property owners or find property link to connect to the California Unclaimed Property site to see if perhaps your name comes up there is the insurance company turned the money over to the state.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Last edited:
E

etabunny

sister has my insurance policy

thanks dandy don and everyone else

But to be honest with you I feel still in the dark.

Can I go to the insurance office and give them my information and change my beneficiary?

Thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">