• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Slander at Work

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

convoy71

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

I work at a popular, corporately owned (several restaurants), restaurant for 3 yrs now. I have been always complimented, documented and review with excellent work performance. But I do not function as server, host, kitchen asst or manager, so I do not interact with public.

Now however, I am not very much a social person. I very rarely say hello, good morning, smile, etc, unless its on my terms (meaning if I feel like it). There are several kitchen staff and few others I conversate friendly with almost on daily basis.

There is no written rule or law in this country demanding someone to say hello, good morning, smile, be cheerful if the job function does not require it. Though I never neglect my duties when asked work related question, ever.

But several, including general manager, look down on me in their view that its law everyone conversate, smile, be cheerful, etc. How I look at is, "what customers want from servers, the servers want the same from kitchen staff". But it is not work related, so I don't think so!

My father who spent 30 yrs in apt maintenance never said hello, GM, smiled, etc. So I figure I copied it from him.

My question is: Can I claim that I was raised this way (copied my father), so anyone that considers me rude or ignorant that I do not answer them or be cheerful (not work related) is slandering my parent and/or myself.

It has been written in a work review that I have am negative in "personal conduct". I consider that slander. By keeping my mouth shut unless answering work related questions is rude or ignorant by service and managers.

CdwJava

It is not "slander" to write a negative evaluation. And they have every right to expect you to be personable with fellow employees at work. It would be hard to justify terminating or disciplining you if this had never before ben brought up and being "courteous" or polite is not in your job description, but it IS possible.

You can CLAIM anything, but it is NOT slander to say that you are rude or inconsiderate because of the way you think you were raised. And people overcome their upbringing all the time. It is not an excuse for poor behavior. It takes no great effort to at least force a smile and say, "Hi."

I imagine that if you consult an attorney, none would take this as a case of libel ... I know it isn't out here in CA and we have probably the strongest employee rights rules in the nation.

- Carl

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You may consider it slander if you choose to; however, slander consists of FALSE statement which has been distributed to an audience and as a direct result of this, you have suffered damages. An opinion is not slander.

If it is your employer's opinion that your personal conduct rates a negative review, that is NOT a false statement. It is his truthful opinion. Therefore, by definition, it is NOT slander, whatever you choose to think. What's more, it has not been distributed to an audience and you have suffered no damages that the law would recognize.

Instead of wasting time, effort, and money trying to create a slander claim where none exists, perhaps you should work on your attitude.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">