• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.


Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



A year and a half we moved to a new house. (in Tennesee) My youngest daughter got into an argument with the neighbor's daughter. (age 8) Ever since then they have made our lives miserable. They call my girls names, throw rocks at my girls, and spit on them. (two families of children ages 7-13) The older boy has even thrown rocks at my car while I am driving. The other day we were at the pool and the three girls were following us around and kicking my kids and splashing water and name calling. We moved from them three times. When I got home, the mother of the girls came over and stated that I called her daughter a B---h, which I never did. We didn't say a word. She threatned to kick my a--. Then stated that she would make my life a living h--- and that we should pack up and move. Another neightbor came out and said that she saw me drag the oldest boy by the hair across her lawn. None of which is true. Both ladies continued to yell about how they have seen me beat on my girl's friends and cuss them out in the yard. The one neighbor has threatned to call the school board and file a formal complaint against me. (her kids do not attend the sme school I work at). We hardly go outside because my girls are too scared to play outside unless they have a group of friends with them. Do I even have a case? I am a single parent with very little income. But it seems so unfair that we should have to stay secluded in our own home or run away and move.
Thanks for any advice,

[This message has been edited by mel2365 (edited July 11, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by mel2365 (edited July 11, 2000).]



Because this has progressed to physical assaults (throwing rocks, spitting, etc), you can apply for a restraining order against every person in the family forbidding them from assaulting, yelling, or threatening you in any way. You should also file criminal charges for each & every incident. Make sure you're the first one to file a complaint. You'll have a bit more credibility.

Set up a video camera & see if you can get some of this behavior on tape. It will go a long way towards convincing the judge that you are right & your neighbors are lying. Also start carrying around a cassette recorder & record any conversations.

You can also sue them for slander/libel if the neighbors contact your employer. You might consider having a lawyer write them a strongly-worded letter telling them that ANY attempt to slander you to your employers will result in you filing a lawsuit.

This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential