• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Slander/Harrassment-Help my Daughter

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

My 23 year old daughter has been gossiped about at the hospital since she started to work there in Medical Records. It got to the point where her 3 supervisors were getting involved in the rumors. Some of which are as follows: Stalking her boss, putting poison in their drinks, going to blow up the hospital and more. They would call security to "sweep" her office every nite she worked. She was also told that if she didn't get counseling (on her own time) she would get fired. She has been written up so many times for petty things but not once about her job performance. She just got fired three days for job abandonment. Is there any one that can give us some advice? I feel she won't be able to get another job in this town because of the slander on her name. We are from WV.

ALawyer

This is a problem that, unfortunately, is hard to solve. She can hire an attorney to sue but the lawyer will want to be paid up front and would not take it on a contingency basis.

------------------
<b> To retain a lawyer, I suggest you go to http://AttorneyPages.com which is endorsed by the Association of Trial Lawyers of America.<b/> My response is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE and as you are not my client I have no obligation of any kind to you.

P

PamSJS

Dear Concerned Mom;

I read your letter and I understand what you must be going through. After working in the medical profession for 19 years, I finally struck out on my own. A wonderful nursing supervisor I had years ago said, "It's hard to be a christian and work in a hospital." Oh, how right she was!!

First, why has your daughter been targeted as the victim of such harrassment? Has she done something to deserve this kind of treatment from her peers? Perhaps there is something from her personal life or her past that has become known at her present job. None the less, that does not excuse the person(s) who are taunting her and making it difficult for her to earn a living.

My first suggestion would be: tell your daughter to visit the local E.E.O.C. office and file a complaint. Also, she may want to consider speaking with someone in the Human Resources Dept. of the hospital. I seriously doubt an attorney would intervene at this point, even though she is being tormented emotionally, she hasn't been fired and your allegations would be hard to prove.

Why are her supervisors directing her to obtain counseling? If she does have some mental or emotional illness, she may have a claim under the Americans with Disabilities Act.

Tell her to keep her chin up and just do her job to the best of her ability.

God bless you and your daughter.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face=" Arial, Verdana, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PamSJS:
Dear Concerned Mom;

I read your letter and I understand what you must be going through. After working in the medical profession for 19 years, I finally struck out on my own. A wonderful nursing supervisor I had years ago said, "It's hard to be a christian and work in a hospital." Oh, how right she was!!

First, why has your daughter been targeted as the victim of such harrassment? Has she done something to deserve this kind of treatment from her peers? Perhaps there is something from her personal life or her past that has become known at her present job. None the less, that does not excuse the person(s) who are taunting her and making it difficult for her to earn a living.

My first suggestion would be: tell your daughter to visit the local E.E.O.C. office and file a complaint. Also, she may want to consider speaking with someone in the Human Resources Dept. of the hospital. I seriously doubt an attorney would intervene at this point, even though she is being tormented emotionally, she hasn't been fired and your allegations would be hard to prove.

Why are her supervisors directing her to obtain counseling? If she does have some mental or emotional illness, she may have a claim under the Americans with Disabilities Act.

Tell her to keep her chin up and just do her job to the best of her ability.

God bless you and your daughter.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thanks Pam for the kind words. First of all my daughter was fired from the hospital for job abandonment. She just couldn't take it any longer that day and left her job. What started the whole thing with her and her bosses was that she filled a grievance against them for making her go to counseling.The counseling she was to go to was for clocking in late two days straight so they decided she must have some personnal problems. Her union is standing behind her totally but they can not do anything about the slander. One lawyer I called told me there just wasn't enough money in it for them to take the case. They gave me names of lawyers in town who are "not quite as busy" and maybe one of them could help. I never called them. My daughter couldn't have a "bad reputation". She just got out of school and this was her first big job. I think she is just too quiet for them. Thanks again, Pam

P

PamSJS

According to your response, your daughter just graduated from school and this is her first big job. My first thought would be this: the department she was working in probably has the same old biddies who have been working there for years, and they resent your daughters presence. None the less, they do not have the right to interfere with her right to make a living, regardless of the circumstances.

If your daughter has filed a grievance with her union, let them take it from there. Their job is to represent her in all proceedings and they usually do a very good job.

Some kind words of wisdom for your daughter:
Don't let this incident keep you from pursuing your goals. Look for another job where your talents are needed and wanted; where you will be appreciated.

Good luck in your endeavors!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">