• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Slander?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

foleydm

A manager at the company I work for was out having a few drinks with two of his employees, and one other person who used to work for my company (but no longer works there). This is not my manager, but the manager of another department.

While the manager was out, he accused me (in front of the other three people) of going into someone's email and reading it. This is completely not true. I asked the manager about it a few days later and he had said it was "just a rumor".

Well, within the next few weeks my access to computer systems were completely revoked. This prevented me from fully performing my job duties because I need certain access to systems to perform my job functions. From that point on I was constantly accused of different things - my manager had told me the same manager accused me of deleting someone's account. This too is completely false and there is NO evidence to support either "rumor" because I have asked for proof.

I have resigned from my position as of last week and truly believe I was pushed out because my reputation was damaged by a *manager* spreading rumors about me. My question is - do I have any basis to pursue a case for slander, since I do have witnesses? Would I sue the manager or the company?? What are my chances?

[This message has been edited by foleydm (edited April 29, 2000).]

L

Laura Scheu

sounds like your manager is a very sloppy and unprofessional omph!!! I think you should sue his butt. He had no right just basically making himself feel like a "bigshot" just to ruin your reputation and credibility. Look where you are now and where he is...if you do not do anything and because of his stupidity and personality he will have another victum soon, even if it is unbeknownst(sp?) tp him-idiot. I am having a similiar problem. Good Luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">