• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Slander

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

Gary Cleland

I am the President of a small HOA in California. One of the home owners and his tenants do not like me. At the last HOA meeting this particular owner said in front of everyone "My tenant told me that you are a Peeping Tom and that I've been looking in their windows". This was a completely false statement ment to embarrass me and ruin my reputation with my neighbors. There was never a complaint made to the police and this home owner knows his tenant has a history of making false accusations. Can anyone please tell me if I have a solid slander case against this person? Thank you.

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate currently awaiting Bar results. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney-client relationship.

Okay, the fact this individual has said this in front of these people is definitely slander and may even be "slander per se" which means it is so bad that you do not have to prove the actual monetary damages to your reputation.

I hope you read (or have read) the libel and slander section at freeadvice.com's home page under personal injury.

Take this information to a lawyer who may decide to start with a letter of dispute (cheapest) and ask for damages from the perpetrators and ask them to have a letter of apology sent to all with a physical apology while you stand there too or he/she may decide to sue entirely from the beginning.

take this and print it out and go see a lawyer. find one at attorneypages.com, make sure they have extensive experience with libel and slander (defamation).

Hope this helps.

G

Gary Cleland

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lawrat:
I am a law school graduate currently awaiting Bar results. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney-client relationship.

Okay, the fact this individual has said this in front of these people is definitely slander and may even be "slander per se" which means it is so bad that you do not have to prove the actual monetary damages to your reputation.

I hope you read (or have read) the libel and slander section at freeadvice.com's home page under personal injury.

Take this information to a lawyer who may decide to start with a letter of dispute (cheapest) and ask for damages from the perpetrators and ask them to have a letter of apology sent to all with a physical apology while you stand there too or he/she may decide to sue entirely from the beginning.

take this and print it out and go see a lawyer. find one at attorneypages.com, make sure they have extensive experience with libel and slander (defamation).

Hope this helps.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

G

Gary Cleland

Hi Lawrat, thanks for your reply. I should have been more specific on who I want to sue. I want to sue the home owner for making the statement not the tenant. Do you still think I got a case? Thanks, Gary

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">