• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Slandered by ex-employer in FL

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Miffed

I was a manager for this company for six years. One of my duties was the selling of excess inventory. After leaving for a new job in an unrelated field, statements were made that I had sold equipment and had accepted "kick-backs" from the companies I had sold to. They have no proof of this because it is untrue. My wife and brother still work at this company, and have heard these statements (obviously to their dismay).
I went to speak to the Director I had reported to while employed there... while waiting to see him, one of his managers came up to me and said "Oh, what's up? You came back because you miss all the kickbacks you were getting?" I just looked at him stunned, and then he added "Oh yeah, don't look at me like you don't know what I'm talking about- you know about those kickbacks". There were several witnesses to this exchange, so it is no longer second-hand heresay.
I worked long and hard for this company, and had a stellar reputation. I was in charge of millions of dollars in inventory and all company security (keys, access codes, etc...), so I needed to (and did) maintain the highest degrees of honesty and trustworthiness. This reputation has now been slandered.
Should I pursue an attorney? Also, isn't the allegation that was made against me be one that would constitute an illegal action on my part? (Possible theft or bribery). I ask that because I know the course of damage recovery relies on either actual monetary damage incurred OR if the slander involves accusations of criminal wrongdoing then a jury or judge would decide the damages.

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate currently awaiting Bar results. What I offer to you is merely guidance and information, not to be construed as forming an attorney-client relationship.

Okay. because this was slander (oral defamation) in your business or profession, then you do not need to prove special damages. This is because this type of false statement or accusation is so bad, the law doesn't require the plaintiff to prove how much he was out...the statement itself is bad enough.

I would, if I were you, collect as many and stick in a folder, papers you have from your work experience showing you to be a stellar employee. Things like, personnel file, performance reviews, compliments by the other business people in your company or the companies you supposedly took kickbacks from.

Get as many affadavits (notarized) of people willing to stand up for you and on your behalf. Take these to a lawyer who specializes in this type of law (defamtion, personal injury, constitutional law) and show him/her what you have. This is the best way to protect your rights, regain your reputation, and right a terrible wrong.

Best of luck to you. And remember, success is the best revenge. : - )

M

Miffed

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lawrat:
I am a law school graduate currently awaiting Bar results. What I offer to you is merely guidance and information, not to be construed as forming an attorney-client relationship.

Okay. because this was slander (oral defamation) in your business or profession, then you do not need to prove special damages. This is because this type of false statement or accusation is so bad, the law doesn't require the plaintiff to prove how much he was out...the statement itself is bad enough.

I would, if I were you, collect as many and stick in a folder, papers you have from your work experience showing you to be a stellar employee. Things like, personnel file, performance reviews, compliments by the other business people in your company or the companies you supposedly took kickbacks from.

Get as many affadavits (notarized) of people willing to stand up for you and on your behalf. Take these to a lawyer who specializes in this type of law (defamtion, personal injury, constitutional law) and show him/her what you have. This is the best way to protect your rights, regain your reputation, and right a terrible wrong.

Best of luck to you. And remember, success is the best revenge. : - )
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I need some help on this one!
I agree 100% with what lawrat has stated here... and I really appreciate it! But I have gotten an opinion from an attorney that I contacted over the internet that makes it seem like he didn't even read the scenario! Can someone PLEASE give me a second opinion!!! I have approached my former employer about this issue and he vehemently agreed with me about my integrity and honesty having been first rate, and stated that he knew no such events ever took place. But the person who slandered me gave me an "apology" that made matters worse. Of course, he first tried the "I was just joking" excuse, but then insulted my intelligence with a load of $#@!%$&! as his reasons. And what good does apologizing to me do? It doesn't make the others who are aware of these statements feel any better about me and my reputation!?! Thanks!!!

M

Miffed

I need some help on this one!
I agree 100% with what lawrat has stated here... and I really appreciate it! But I have gotten an opinion from an attorney that I contacted over the internet that makes it seem like he didn't even read the scenario! Can someone PLEASE give me a second opinion!!! I have approached my former employer about this issue and he vehemently agreed with me about my integrity and honesty having been first rate, and stated that he knew no such events ever took place.
But the person who slandered me then nervously pulled me aside and gave me an "apology" that made matters worse. Of course, he first tried the "I was just joking" excuse, but then insulted my intelligence with a load of $#@!%$&! as his reasons, saying that "kickbacks" are just a little joke he has with another employee (so why would I know about this joke and why would I think it WAS a joke?) and claims he has never heard any rumours about me taking kickbacks. When he made these comments they were said in a condescending and accusatory tone- the other witnesses agree to that; it was NOT said jokingly. Therefore it's not coincidence in my mind that he mentioned kickbacks to me. And what good does apologizing to ME do? It doesn't make the others who are aware of these statements feel any better about me and my reputation!?! Thanks!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">