• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

slip and fall from climbing into auto

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

U

ufodriver2

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? Florida

An elder friend was climbing into our car in our driveway (we rent, no rental ins.). Called 911. No major injuries occurred, however her bills are coming in. No accident report was filed.
We offered to help offset her medical bills. She verbally agreed to have us pay 1/2 of the costs(~$1,000). We paid her $750. After talking to her lawyer son she now wants us to pay all medical bills. ($2,000 +).

Have I hurt myself from paying at all? Does this admit guilt?

I am more worried about future payments or lawsuits than the $2,000. I need to end my liability somehow to prevent more medical bills should her back go out in the future and she blames us for the accident and costs.

What should I do to bring this to a close?
Thanks.

HomeGuru

ufodriver2 said:
What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? Florida

An elder friend was climbing into our car in our driveway (we rent, no rental ins.). Called 911. No major injuries occurred, however her bills are coming in. No accident report was filed.
We offered to help offset her medical bills. She verbally agreed to have us pay 1/2 of the costs(~$1,000). We paid her $750. After talking to her lawyer son she now wants us to pay all medical bills. ($2,000 +).

Have I hurt myself from paying at all? Does this admit guilt?

I am more worried about future payments or lawsuits than the $2,000. I need to end my liability somehow to prevent more medical bills should her back go out in the future and she blames us for the accident and costs.

What should I do to bring this to a close?
Thanks.
**A: Hmmmmm, she has a lawyer but you don't? Why not talk to a lawyer at least on a free consultation basis. One option to bring things to a close is to pay the $2000 and get a signed indemnification agreement stating no further liability.

U

ufodriver2

Thanks for the replies. She fell because our truck is high, she is older and moves slower, but most of all the wife started to move the vehicle before everyone was fully in the car. The jerk of putting it into gear made her lose her already shaky (?) balance.

Thanks again.

U

ufodriver2

OK. New question. Our friend has now informed us that our car insurance will pay for her medical bills (need to check our policy).
I wonder if this route will be better than paying her off.

I still need to come to completion so we will not be liable for future injury incidents.

Any comments with getting our auto insurance involved?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">