• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.


Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



This is an Ohio question.

The sidewalk in front of my house has a water main valve access in it. A person showed up at my doorstep today and claimed her husband tripped over the thing and cut his knees, hands and bruised some ribs - 40+ days ago. Since medicare isn't going to pay their bill, they want me to pay it.

I went out and checked the thing tonight. He had to try hard to trip over it - there is a very slight elevation change, less than most differences in sidewalk panel elevations on the street. Something like 1/4 inch to a half inch.

I need to know - am I responsible? Is the city water department? Is there a certain amount of assumed risk in walking down the sidewalk? Not to mention - no one witnessed this fall except them.

I've called my insurance agent.


Senior Member
Your insurance company should handle this.

Read the section under accident law on slip and falls. Absent a detailed analysis of the facts and circumstances and local law it is unclear if there is a colorable claim -- apart from the issue of whether the story is believeable.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential