• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Slumlord

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Heatherjs

What is the name of your state? My landlord is a slum lord we paid 4000 deposit to move in and there was rat (languages removed) everywhere rat piss soaked up the cabinets in kitchen so bad they were falling apart it had no flooring just plywood leaky roof no paint not clean what was the deposit so hi for and when I had to replace the cupboards o so we could safely use the kitchen and seal all rat holes and put out trap etc they won’t even reemburse me for my troubles I mean I even had to clean the place I took pics and it is a non profit org for woman from traumatic past that owns the home I think it is a sham

quincy

What is the name of your state? My landlord is a slum lord we paid 4000 deposit to move in and there was rat shit everywhere rat piss soaked up the cabinets in kitchen so bad they were falling apart it had no flooring just plywood leaky roof no paint not clean what was the deposit so hi for and when I had to replace the cupboards o so we could safely use the kitchen and seal all rat holes and put out trap etc they won’t even reemburse me for my troubles I mean I even had to clean the place I took pics and it is a non profit org for woman from traumatic past that owns the home I think it is a sham
Did you not view the rental unit prior to signing a lease?

As a note: It can be a mistake to label a landlord/property owner a “slum lord” as that label has been found defamatory in the past.

quincy

My advice is to not call your landlord a “slum lord.”

It appears that you knew the condition of the rental but moved in anyway - agreeing to the terms of the rental and accepting the conditions.

Desperation CAN make you act against your own best interests but desperation when combined with a signed lease limits your legal recourse.

quincy

Call your local city housing inspections desk and complain or consult with a attorney.
With some rentals that are being mismanaged and that are in deplorable condition, contacting the local media (e.g., a “call for action” team) can lead to a satisfactory resolution.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">