• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Small Auto Accident Opposite Party Not Responding

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tomlmatt

Minnesota

Hello,
In early May I was involved in a small rear end accident. I and the other party was stopped at a stop sign, I slowly crept forward and without noticing dinged the party's car that was in front of me. Long story short, since it was just a nick we decided not to go through insurance or file a report, I was 100% liable and I agree with that. She went and got a few quotes - the first one was $1000 the second one just told her to buy some touchup paint and do it herself. She wasn't comfortable with that so said she was going to get a third quote. The last respondent I've had with her was 3 weeks ago over text. With her saying she would get another quote and keep me updated. I've sent her a few texts asking for an update as well as a call with no response. I sent an email yesterday to her to see if she would respond there.

I'm trying to get this wrapped up before I start school in August as I don't want to have any unexpected expenses. My question is what should I do if she doesn't respond to me soon? I just don't want her all of a sudden responding in the fall and asking for $1,000 and me not having it, as well as I just don't want to think about it anymore. Is there some sort of a "timeline" in which I am no longer liable anymore?

To make this clear, I want to pay her for her car and troubles, she simply won't respond to me.

Just Blue

Minnesota

Hello,
In early May I was involved in a small rear end accident. I and the other party was stopped at a stop sign, I slowly crept forward and without noticing dinged the party's car that was in front of me. Long story short, since it was just a nick we decided not to go through insurance or file a report, I was 100% liable and I agree with that. She went and got a few quotes - the first one was $1000 the second one just told her to buy some touchup paint and do it herself. She wasn't comfortable with that so said she was going to get a third quote. The last respondent I've had with her was 3 weeks ago over text. With her saying she would get another quote and keep me updated. I've sent her a few texts asking for an update as well as a call with no response. I sent an email yesterday to her to see if she would respond there.

I'm trying to get this wrapped up before I start school in August as I don't want to have any unexpected expenses. My question is what should I do if she doesn't respond to me soon? I just don't want her all of a sudden responding in the fall and asking for $1,000 and me not having it, as well as I just don't want to think about it anymore. Is there some sort of a "timeline" in which I am no longer liable anymore?

To make this clear, I want to pay her for her car and troubles, she simply won't respond to me.
I highly suggest you report this to your insurance.

Just Blue

If I do that my rates will go up way higher than what the accident will cost. I'm only 19 years old so I don't need that right now.
Then make sure you have plenty of cash in your savings/checking account for when she finally does get back to you.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Offer her $1,000 in exchange for a signed document release you from any additional liability.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If you really can't get in touch with her, then set aside the money and be patient. Please be aware that, by not reporting this to your insurance, you are taking the risk that they will refuse to cover you if she comes back in a month with a much larger claim. You are required to report any possible exposure. You are free to not report it, but you should know about it when you make that decision.

justalayman

Even if she comes back with a quote over $1000 you would have an arguable defense that she can have it repaired for the $1000 and you owe no more than that.
So, as zigner suggested, tuck away the $1000 as that is likely to be the max you owe and wait.

A quick search shows she has 6 years within which to sue you, if necessary, to seek compensation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">