• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Small Business Employee Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state? TX

A couple started a business, the wife puts the DBA in only her name. She has a full time job and her husband works the store in the mall. The husband claims not to work. Since they are married does he have to fill out an I-9 or W-4? How could I find out if they have filled out the appropriate forms and if not how can I make sure that the appropriate people are informed?

Some Random Guy

Senior Member
What is the deal here? Are you trying to get child support from this fellow?

Go to county office and get copy of their DBA.
Get photo(s) of him working at the store in the mall on multiple days.
File for a modification of child support and use his under the table work against him.


Senior Member
Self-employed people do not have to fill out an I-9, nor do they file a W-4.

I don't believe it matters in whose name a DBA is, especially as concerns the filers of a potentially joint tax return.

If you're trying to get them on an immigration violation, this probably isn't going to do it.


Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential