• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Small Claims advice - no-fault state (MI)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cobalt68

What is the name of your state?I live in MI (no-fault insurance).

Two months ago I was in an accident in a parking lot (private lot, at work). This lot is unique, since it is a main aisle that people can park on either side of. I had stopped at the stop sign in the middle part of the aisle, proceeded another 20 feet or so and felt a jolt. A person had backed in to the right hand side of my vehicle - hitting the rear side of my front passenger door and rear passenger door. :(

I had no idea a car was even backing out - I didn't see any reverse lights upon approach. And I feel if the other driver had been paying attention and had been backing out properly (when she got out of her car she claimed she has a manual transmission and just put it in neutral and cruised on out), she would have seen my car and had ample time to stop. I am a safe driver (have a clean driving record) and am unsure of the other driver's record.

I felt (and still feel) I am less than 20% at fault (if that) since I was almost past her...as proof of her hitting the rear of my vehicle. So I filed for mini-tort with her insurance company. However, yesterday I received notice that I would not be awarded mini-tort since the defendant feels she is less than 50% at fault! I thought that if both cars are in motion, and it's a parking lot, it's at least 50/50? How could I be over 51% at fault if I was almost centered behind her when she backed out into me? :mad:

I want to take this to small claims court for my $400 deductible and the cost of the rental car I needed to have when my car was being fixed. However, only living in MI for a few years and coming from an at-fault insurance state, I am unsure how the law works in a no-fault state like MI. I know they recommend mediation prior to filing a claim. Does the min-tort count for this? How should I proceed/what will help me win my case? What are my chances for success? Pls. advise! Thanks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">