• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Small Claims Case Help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

westonmountz

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

Hi, my fiance and I booked a small venue in February for our August Wedding. We signed a contract that was sent to us by the woman who owned the venue. Along with the contract we sent her $1500 through PayPal. The contract that we initially signed was for her catering business but she assured us that she would add the venue information and send it back promptly. It has now been 2 and a half months and we have never received a contract back from her. She continues to make up excuses for why she can not send it and now has stopped replying to our messages altogether. My fiance is very stressed as we are worried about booking another venue in time. I have never gone through a small claims court before and was curious if we had a legitimate case to get our money back. I would also like to ask if anyone knows if it is possible to ask for more than 1500 to cover new invitation costs and other expenses.

Thank you for your help.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Let me address the more important concern first: You will NOT resolve this matter in time use those funds for a new venue, etc. Having said that, it's entirely possible that you will be able to be awarded the $1,500 and the additional costs caused by her anticipated breach of contract. Collecting is an entirely different matter unfortunately.

westonmountz

Let me address the more important concern first: You will NOT resolve this matter in time use those funds for a new venue, etc. Having said that, it's entirely possible that you will be able to be awarded the $1,500 and the additional costs caused by her anticipated breach of contract. Collecting is an entirely different matter unfortunately.
Thank you for the reply, I figured we would not have the funds in time since it will be a lengthy process. But glad to hear that we have a possible case.

quincy

Here is a link to information on filing your lawsuit, offered by Lehigh County. Some rules in your County may differ slightly.

https://www.lccpa.org/selfhelp/MDCourt/Topic1.nex
You should have a copy of your original contract for catering and any correspondence you have about reserving the venue, plus proof of payment.

Good luck.

Last edited:

adjusterjack

Thank you for the reply, I figured we would not have the funds in time since it will be a lengthy process. But glad to hear that we have a possible case.
See if you can make a claim through Pay Pal and get the money back without having to go to court. Pay Pal is rather protective of the consumer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">