• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

small claims court

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vickidietrich

Florida Can I sue a business even though I signed an invoice saying that the work was okay? I was told I was signing that the work was done.

PayrollHRGuy

Sure anybody can sue for anything. If you have even a chance at winning depends on all of the facts including the actual verbiage of what you signed.

Litigator22

How about a yes, a no and a maybe?

Or would you care to explain what work was contracted to be furnished with respect to what; what did you expressly acknowledge concerning the quality and adequacy of the work supposedly performed; and what is your beef?

Generally speaking the act of signing an invoice or any other such document at the conclusion of the work would not, per se (in and of itself) constitute a waiver or release of your legal remedies should it be determined that the work furnished was not as contracted.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Generally speaking the act of signing an invoice or any other such document at the conclusion of the work would not, per se (in and of itself) constitute a waiver or release of your legal remedies should it be determined that the work furnished was not as contracted.
The OP states that he signed an acknowledgment that the work was completed satisfactorily.

Litigator22

The OP states that he signed an acknowledgment that the work was completed satisfactorily.
If that is meant to be dismissive, wiser minds might choose to wait until better informed. Example: The discovery of latent and material imperfections in the work.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If that is meant to be dismissive, wiser minds might choose to wait until better informed. Example: The discovery of latent and material imperfections in the work.
Not meant to be dismissive, and I agree that claims for latent problems wouldn't (necessarily) be waived. In this case, however, we both have to reach conclusions without any evidence based upon the (lack of) detail in the original post. We don't have any evidence that any of the concerns the OP may have are related to latent problems with the work.

quincy

That two-cents worth is a constricted viewpoint as the issues may not be restricted to what was signed following the performance of the work.
Knowing exactly what was signed certainly would be more than what we have now.

(now I have added an additional 2 cents worth)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">