• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Small claims?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Brendez

What is the name of your state?alabama
My daughter died in July of this year. She lived with her boyfriend for a year before that. When she got her house I let her use an heirloom china cabinet and let her know when I moved back into my house it had to come back. She died before that happened. Now the boyfriend won’t give it back. I told him he could have everything else but I wanted that back. Would small claims be the place I should go?

quincy

What is the name of your state?alabama
My daughter died in July of this year. She lived with her boyfriend for a year before that. When she got her house I let her use an heirloom china cabinet and let her know when I moved back into my house it had to come back. She died before that happened. Now the boyfriend won’t give it back. I told him he could have everything else but I wanted that back. Would small claims be the place I should go?
You could sue him in small claims, yes.

I am very sorry about the loss of your daughter.

HRZ

ABsent some written confirmation of that item was on loan....if her executor/administrator takes position it was a gift....it's a toss up. BTW did you request in writing that her administrator/executor return it ?

BTW a mere BF does not inherit absent a will that says he does ..what does her will say, if there is one ?

LdiJ

You could sue him in small claims, yes.

I am very sorry about the loss of your daughter.
I am wondering if there is more than one option. The boyfriend certainly would have no claim on his girlfriend's estate unless she left a will giving him everything. I am wondering if mom got herself named as the administrator of her daughter's estate that mom could get the police involved in retrieving her daughter's possessions.

quincy

I am wondering if there is more than one option. The boyfriend certainly would have no claim on his girlfriend's estate unless she left a will giving him everything. I am wondering if mom got herself named as the administrator of her daughter's estate that mom could get the police involved in retrieving her daughter's possessions.
I am sure there is more than one option, many of which might be better than a lawsuit. And, as HRZ noted, it might not be as simple as filing a small claims suit against the boyfriend.

Brendez

ABsent some written confirmation of that item was on loan....if her executor/administrator takes position it was a gift....it's a toss up. BTW did you request in writing that her administrator/executor return it ?

BTW a mere BF does not inherit absent a will that says he does ..what does her will say, if there is one ?
There is no executor or admin. She was 42 and didn’t think ahead. I will request in writing to her bf but that won’t mean anything to him. Thanks for your advice

Brendez

I’ll check into that. Thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">