• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Small fender bender

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cbennett08

What is the name of your state? Virginia

Saturday afternoon while sitting at a drive thru at a popular chain, a girl behind us gunned the gas pedal of her car and it lurched forward smacking into the back of my van. We both pulled over and I asked for her insurance information etc. She didn't have her license, insurance and said that if I called the police she was leaving the scene. When I asked why she switched seats with the driver after the accident, she stated that it was her sister and she had no drivers license. She gave me her name, insurance info and I took pictures of her car, plates etc. The whole situation didn't feel right so I mentioned that I was still going to call the police and she left.

The police took the report and said they would run the tags etc. They also are writing this up as a hit and run.

After getting home I ran the plates through carfax and they were for a different car. Luckily I had video from front and back cameras on my van and was able to get a company name from her shirt that she was wearing. I called the insurance company and they had zero information on her.

At this point the only thing I had from her that was right was the companies name that was on her shirt. I called the company and asked if she worked there etc and explained what happened. About 10 mins later she texted me from another number and said she has a friend at a local priority toyota work shop that can replace the bumper and she would work out a payment so insurance wouldn't have to be involved.

I have had a major headache since that time and will most likely go to the hospital to get checked.

If they are going to repair my bumper properly the whole process would have to go through the dealer and be documented. I also am not sure how to handle the compensation she is offering outside of that?

This whole thing has been weird and I have never dealt with someone that has no insurance, the wrong plates etc.

Is there anything I need to take into consideration when moving forward with this?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
When you contacted your insurance carrier and reported everything that happened, what did they say?

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
What is the name of your state? Virginia

Saturday afternoon while sitting at a drive thru at a popular chain, a girl behind us gunned the gas pedal of her car and it lurched forward smacking into the back of my van. We both pulled over and I asked for her insurance information etc. She didn't have her license, insurance and said that if I called the police she was leaving the scene. When I asked why she switched seats with the driver after the accident, she stated that it was her sister and she had no drivers license. She gave me her name, insurance info and I took pictures of her car, plates etc. The whole situation didn't feel right so I mentioned that I was still going to call the police and she left.

The police took the report and said they would run the tags etc. They also are writing this up as a hit and run.

After getting home I ran the plates through carfax and they were for a different car. Luckily I had video from front and back cameras on my van and was able to get a company name from her shirt that she was wearing. I called the insurance company and they had zero information on her.

At this point the only thing I had from her that was right was the companies name that was on her shirt. I called the company and asked if she worked there etc and explained what happened. About 10 mins later she texted me from another number and said she has a friend at a local priority toyota work shop that can replace the bumper and she would work out a payment so insurance wouldn't have to be involved.

I have had a major headache since that time and will most likely go to the hospital to get checked.

If they are going to repair my bumper properly the whole process would have to go through the dealer and be documented. I also am not sure how to handle the compensation she is offering outside of that?

This whole thing has been weird and I have never dealt with someone that has no insurance, the wrong plates etc.

Is there anything I need to take into consideration when moving forward with this?
Contact your insurance.

Contact the police again and give them any new info you have.

Do NOTHING under the table/off the records with this dodgy chick. Do not agree to and "work" being done on your car by a "friend" of this dodgy chick.

If insurance won't cover the repairs, then get a couple of estimates in writing from reputable places, get the car repaired, and sue her for the cost. She probably won't pay.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">