• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Smalls Claims - Damage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hmalyse

So this all started back in April of 2016. My ex took a hammer straight thru the screen of my 2015 MacBook Air 13.3". I filed a police report, but we just went separate ways & I moved to New York shortly thereafter.
Once in NY attending college, I decided to have my MacBook repaired to utilize for assignments.
A small kiosk in the local mall charged me $260 & we called it a day.
Once the man returned the MacBook, the screen no longer had a hole in & seemed great, but he told me he had lost screws for the back (only received 3/10) & that the laptop was having difficulty turning on.
I thought nothing of it because he demonstrated with the charger plugged in that it still turned on.
I paid & left.
Fast forward to a week ago (June 2018) & I want to Fix my laptop again. Every time the charger moves the laptop blacks out & dies. Ever since that day.
I take it to my local shop (in Indiana because I have moved back home) & they diagnos it for free.
All the connectors to the battery & motherboard had been broken & the battery placed under the motherboard.
It was out of their power to fix, so he reccomends me to another shop.
I ship my MacBook out & the new shop begins working on it. $101.89 in the end.
The man calls, says he couldn't find the parts I needed so he just manually wired all the connectors back in place & he said it worked just fine.
Upon receiving the laptop, I plug it in, turn it on (oh& all on camera too, fresh out of the box, in case of this) & the moment I touch the charger to see how good a job he did. . . . . it died same as before.

I called. Explained. Asked for a refund. He said they don't do refunds because you pay for their time, not services.

& that's where I am. An $800 laptop with nearly $400 of repairs that have gotten us nowhere.

Who can I sue? NY guys or this guy? Both? Do you think I have enough evidence? (Written letterhead from diagnosis store owner of his observance & written statement from last guy on what manual repair he did, as well as every receipt from NY to now)
Statute of limitations is good for both states.
Because they are a shop with services, will they win, even tho their services did nothing for me?
What about compensation for a brand new laptop? The store owner even said he has never seen this damage & it might be unfixable. Could I get service charges & a laptop compensation back?

Thank you

quincy

You can probably purchase a new laptop for less than what you are investing in repairs.

I don't see any lawsuit to pursue, based on the facts as you outline them here.

Hmalyse

You can probably purchase a new laptop for less than what you are investing in repairs.

I don't see any lawsuit to pursue, based on the facts as you outline them here.
Why is that? This MacBook has been damaged beyond repair by everyone but me

Hmalyse

You should have sued your ex back in 2016.
Yea, I tried that twice, but clerk told me wrong filing fee Twice, a lot of money I didn't have & parents wouldn't lend me. Then waiting on a tax check to return this year & it was 2 weeks after statute of limitations when I got it

quincy

That is unfortunate. Your claim was really against your ex. The repairs you have attempted probably can all be traced back to the hammer blows.

quincy

understandable. Well I appreciate the reply
Although I think it smartest for you to just look for another laptop to buy and see no good legal action available to you, you can check your thread later to see if another member of the forum believes you have a legal action against anyone that is worth the time and cost of pursuing,

Good luck.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">