• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Smoking Around Apartments

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RickD754

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Hampshire

I live in a apartment complex in Salem NH. I am a smoker, and although smoking IS allowed inside my apartment, I choose not to because it wouse bother my wife. So I step outside to smoke. When I do I sit on the stairs leading to the door to enter the complex. Have been doing so since we moved I need 9 months ago. Today, the property manager aproached me while smoking. She told me that I am required to step away from the building when I smoke because it may bother other tenants. Knowing the answer, I simply asked, is smoking allowed in my apartment? She replied, yes. I then asked then how does it make sense that I smoke outside and I'm told to be a distance away from the apartment where there are no covered accommodations for in climate weather, but those that smoke inside , the smell of the smoke does in fact go through the walls and into the halls but that is ok? She answered sternly, from now on you are required to step away from the building when you smoke. And she walked away. This does not make sense. Is this legal? The smoking receptacle in mounted right next to the door on the small landing, isn't that indication of where I can smome? And if this is a requirement to in fact step away from the building, shouldn't they have to provide some coverage for weather?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Hampshire

I live in a apartment complex in Salem NH. I am a smoker, and although smoking IS allowed inside my apartment, I choose not to because it wouse bother my wife. So I step outside to smoke. When I do I sit on the stairs leading to the door to enter the complex. Have been doing so since we moved I need 9 months ago. Today, the property manager aproached me while smoking. She told me that I am required to step away from the building when I smoke because it may bother other tenants. Knowing the answer, I simply asked, is smoking allowed in my apartment? She replied, yes. I then asked then how does it make sense that I smoke outside and I'm told to be a distance away from the apartment where there are no covered accommodations for in climate weather, but those that smoke inside , the smell of the smoke does in fact go through the walls and into the halls but that is ok? She answered sternly, from now on you are required to step away from the building when you smoke. And she walked away. This does not make sense. Is this legal? The smoking receptacle in mounted right next to the door on the small landing, isn't that indication of where I can smome? And if this is a requirement to in fact step away from the building, shouldn't they have to provide some coverage for weather?
Most states laws these days require you to be a certain number of feet away from the entrance to a building if you are smoking outside. Therefore, odds are that she is right. You probably should not stand in front of anyone's open windows either. Next place that you rent you might consider opting for an apartment with a balcony.

Isis1

as an on and off again smoker myself, if you aren't going to smoke inside because of your wife (that is a very sweet and wonderful thing for you to do, btw) then smoking away from the building also makes sense. because now you are not in YOUR specific space, but in the communal area.

and bring an umbrella for those rainy days.

and FYI, placement of the cigarette receptacles are to deter from butts being left on the ground, not smoking designated areas.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">