• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Smoking Ban

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RedNeckBarber

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arkansas
I hope no one threw rocks at me when they read the thread but I haven't been to this site since July and when I came on to post this question the first thing I see is the post from the lady that was working in an area that the employees came to for their smoke breaks, so can we do this again, please?
My husband has a redneck (his description) old fashion barbershop across from the county courthouse in Marion, Ar. This shop has never stopped smoking even when the governor decided no one could smoke anywhere here in Arkansas. This has been in effect probably close to 10 years. Everyone in there smokes but I promise everyone that anyone can go in that shop anytime they please, be it at 4:00 AM or 5:00 PM and you will never see dirty ashtrays or smell smoke. John has had heart surgery but he still smokes and I have never smoked and truly HATE it but I back him 100% for the reason I stated. We have been married 44 years and he will tell anyone that if his wife doesn't complain about smelling the smoke no one will. Now I need some answers please. Three weeks ago an inspector from Little Rock walked in and said one of your customers reported there is smoking in this shop. John said yes but did you smell it? The inspector said he did not but that he was there to do his job. My husband told him to do whatever he needed he didn't have anything to hide. After doing his walk through he left. John received papers over the weekend showing what appeared to be a judgement against him for breaking the law and that he could appeal or just pay the penalty. Some of his customers have offered to start a fund to pay legal fees. On the shop front door is a notice that this is a smoking facility. There are also signs inside the shop. Will they have to advise him of the person who filed the complaint and the other question is, there is a racing and gaming park here in town and they are allowed to smoke inside that establishment. What's the difference? Why should they be allowed to let their customers smoke and John's can't? They have children of all ages from infants on up and they serve food. At least all John is doing is cutting hair. The government does not pay his shop rent or any of his expenses. When the government can come into your business and tell you how you can run it certainly smells like communism to me. How do they decide who can smoke in their business and who can't. As I said I truly hate smoking but I also have said that the smokers have been abused enough. Let me also add that here in Arkansas the governor sponsored and of course the bill went right through, that cigarettes have an additional cigarette tax that increased the price of a package by $1.50. Any help will be appreciated.
Thank you
John & Ann Frasure

racer72

smokers have been abused enough.
I don't think so. Cigarettes and other tobacco products are the only legal thing sold in the US that when used as intended causes physical harm. Smoking is not a right but I have the right to go into any licensed establishment of my choice and not have to smell tobacco smoke. I would like to see the tax on cigarettes go to about $10 a pack, maybe then smokers will realize stupid it is to slowly kill themselves. I am an ex smoker (16 years) and I still suffer physical effects from the years I smoked. If I had anything to do about it, I would ban the use of tobacco in the US.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
I don't think so. Cigarettes and other tobacco products are the only legal thing sold in the US that when used as intended causes physical harm. Smoking is not a right but I have the right to go into any licensed establishment of my choice and not have to smell tobacco smoke. I would like to see the tax on cigarettes go to about $10 a pack, maybe then smokers will realize stupid it is to slowly kill themselves. I am an ex smoker (16 years) and I still suffer physical effects from the years I smoked. If I had anything to do about it, I would ban the use of tobacco in the US.
And if all the smokers quit smoking, who do you think the government would come after next to keep those tax revenues flowing?

Alcohol can cause harm. Sugar is still legal.

justalayman

racer72;2364153]I don't think so. Cigarettes and other tobacco products are the only legal thing sold in the US that when used as intended causes physical harm

smoking

alcohol

dairy products

transfats

sugar

aspirin

and many many other things cause physical harm when eaten, taken, ingested, inhaled, or injected as directed.

dang, water ingestion can kill you if you drink a lot of it.

If I had anything to do about it, I would ban the use of tobacco in the US.
you can't keep a fool from harming themselves, even if you would outlaw it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">