• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Smoking in Car on Company Grounds (PA)--curious, not desperate to know

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Joan Gregg

I was just curious. No, I have not searched my state laws, federal laws, etc.
If you are sitting in your car on company grounds, can you legally smoke?

Many companies in my area have made smoking on company grounds/lots forbidden; yet visitors to the properties are free to smoke to the door, as there are no signs upon entering these properties.

So, if your car is protected from "unreasonable search and seizure" by police, does it follow that an employee's car is a haven ON company grounds?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joan Gregg:
I was just curious. No, I have not searched my state laws, federal laws, etc.
If you are sitting in your car on company grounds, can you legally smoke?

Many companies in my area have made smoking on company grounds/lots forbidden; yet visitors to the properties are free to smoke to the door, as there are no signs upon entering these properties.

So, if your car is protected from "unreasonable search and seizure" by police, does it follow that an employee's car is a haven ON company grounds?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

Joan, you're mixing apples and oranges. It's one thing in the law when you're dealing with Search and Seizure laws when it comes to law enforcement and other Governmental entities. However, it's a whole other "horse of a different color" when you're talking about how an owner of property wants people to conduct themselves on "their" property. An employer/landowner can set up any rules it wants that are "reasonable under the law." Your employer, while allowing customers to smoke right up to the door, is far different than preserving or creating an image your employer wants when people walk up to his doors; i.e., he doesn't want his customers seeing people smoking, in their cars, or just milling about outside, while on the way into his business, or to have to go through a "gauntlet of smoke" before they enter.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

J

Joan Gregg

thank you for your kind response. The issue was in cars only, to which you responded; not "walking through a gauntlet of smoke." Also, it is not my company that I am speaking of; smokers here ARE allowed to smoke in one area of the property.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">