• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SNF nitemare

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

althabits

What is the name of your state?virginia

My mother passed away recently and I am wondering if I have any recourse against the SNF she had stayed in before she passed away. My mother had been suffering from later stage copd, and after another of her brief hospitol stays she went to a SNF for rehab before comming home. We became alarmed after her first couple of days that her care was not acceptable after she was calling us because she had difficulty with having them give her meds or changing her soiled diapers. We had a meeting with the social worker at the facility to dicuss the matter and decided to have her brought home. The problem was we needed to schedule a wheelchair van for transport as she was not in a condition to ride in a car. During this short wait of a few days we became extremely concerned her condition had gotten much worse and we confronted the staff about her condition. They did a check of her stats and the ambulance was called. My mother had contracted a severe sepsis infection from the removal of her catheter. She often got VTI infections from a catheter but they were caught quickly and treated. I feel the extent of this infection was worsened by their disregard for her hygiene. My brother and I had been going to the facility daily to assist in feeding her and to check on her condition and just give moral support and keep her spirits up as she was miserable being there.I on more than one visit pushed her call bell and after more than 45 minutes of waiting had to go find someone to tend to my mother.Upon arrival at the hospitol we also learned that they had sent the wrong persons file with them and we were fortunate to be there to let them know that file didnt belong to my mother. My mother passed away one week later as she was not able to fight off the infection in her condition. I am filing a complaint with the local health dept but Im afraid if I dont do more the facility wont do a thing to change anything they do. I think they should get more than a slap on the wrist and the only way I can think of to get their attention is to hit them in the only place they pay attention to and thats their wallet. Its sad that the poor people in that home get such poor care with them crying tight budgets while they are building a huge addition on the back of the facility. Do you think I may have a case or should I just file the report with the health dept. and turn my head the other way

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">