• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

So Lisa, why did you close your thread?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BelizeBreeze

What is the name of your state? utter dismay

Here is the complete post.

#7 Today, 08:43 AM
LisaTexas
Junior Member Join Date: Apr 2005

Decedants Interest

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am aware of the Texas Code. You do not know all the details, but thank you for your opinion.

I posted this site looking for a lawyers advice.

LisaTexas
View Public Profile
Find all posts by LisaTexas
Add LisaTexas to Your Buddy List
Post Your Case To An Attorney

#6 Today, 08:07 AM
BelizeBreeze
Senior Member Join Date: Jun 2004

Under the Texas Probate Code, a valid handwritten will must be wholly in the handwriting of the testator and signed by him or her. It does not need to be witnessed and can be written on anything, including stationery. Typewritten words may not be incorporated into the will. The wording must reflect a present intent to dispose of property at death. The words, "This is my last will and testament," generally are sufficient to show testamentary intent.

BelizeBreeze
View Public Profile
Find all posts by BelizeBreeze
Add BelizeBreeze to Your Buddy List

#5 Today, 07:17 AM
LisaTexas

Decedant Interests

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In this case you are wrong. Because personal items were removed from the home, the handwritten documents becomes legal.

LisaTexas
View Public Profile

#4 Today, 07:10 AM
BelizeBreeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaTexas
you're not a lawyer...no one is seeking your advice

The 'current spouse' doesn't legally have to give you anything since the 'handwritten will' is worthless. So, I suggest the decedents be grateful for whatever the current spouse decides to give them.

BelizeBreeze
View Public Profile

#3 Today, 07:07 AM
LisaTexas

Decedants Interests

you're not a lawyer...no one is seeking your advice

LisaTexas
View Public Profile

#2 Yesterday, 02:15 PM
BelizeBreeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaTexas
What is the name of your state? Texas

Have issue of a house. How is the decedants interest in the house divided?

I am not a child of the current spouse. There is a Will, that left everything to the current spouse.
But! a handwritten Will was found, but not signed. Now, the items on that handwritten Will were dispersed before the spouse went to probate the Will...which according to the Spouse, has "legalized" that Will.

Is the financial interest of the house, the time of the decdants death? or when the house is sold in the future??

The current spouse is willing to give us our fair share, but we are having trouble finding what the "fair share" is.

The 'current spouse' doesn't legally have to give you anything since the 'handwritten will' is worthless. So, I suggest the decedents be grateful for whatever the current spouse decides to give them.

BelizeBreeze
View Public Profile

#1 Yesterday, 02:06 PM
LisaTexas

Decedant interests

What is the name of your state? Texas

Have issue of a house. How is the decedants interest in the house divided?

I am not a child of the current spouse. There is a Will, that left everything to the current spouse.
But! a handwritten Will was found, but not signed. Now, the items on that handwritten Will were dispersed before the spouse went to probate the Will...which according to the Spouse, has "legalized" that Will.

Is the financial interest of the house, the time of the decdants death? or when the house is sold in the future??

The current spouse is willing to give us our fair share, but we are having trouble finding what the "fair share" is.

BelizeBreeze

Now, let's look at the "PROBLEMS".

I am not a child of the current spouse.
You have no legal standing so why should anyone waste time trying to pound the legal options into your head?

There is a Will, that left everything to the current spouse.
O.K. That's simple.

But! a handwritten Will was found, but not signed.
And, as you were told, under Texas probate code, that will is invalid.

Now, the items on that handwritten Will were dispersed before the spouse went to probate the Will...which according to the Spouse, has "legalized" that Will.
And I assume that this 'spouse' is a probate attorney who is qualified to give legal advice? NOTHING but a court and/or jury can 'validate' a holographic will and, since the will was not signed, it is invalid on it's face.

As you were told, your 'legal' share is nothing, nada, zilch.

Your 'FAIR' share is whatever the 'current spouse' decides to give you.

Now, let's wait and see if a 'real' attorney gives you any further help. :D

Dandy Don

Please take a copy of the newer will (that is being probated) to a probate attorney to have it evaluated to see whether you would have legal grounds for contesting it (does it have the correct number of witnesses: 2, does the signature look genuine or forged, etc.).

Children are supposed to be mentioned in the will and you also need to get your attorney's opinion about what Texas law says about this aspect.

Were the children specifically disinherited in this will, either by mentioning their exact names or in general terms?

The older unsigned will could have been an indication of his previous intention, but the bottom line is that he may have been concerned about wanting to provide for his wife and thus that is why he left everything to her, although I do understand your hurt feelings at being left out. Could he have been taking medication at the time he signed the will that would have affected his judgment? Do you suspect undue influence by the wife?

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

BelizeBreeze

Dandy Don said:
Please take a copy of the newer will (that is being probated) to a probate attorney to have it evaluated to see whether you would have legal grounds for contesting it (does it have the correct number of witnesses: 2, does the signature look genuine or forged, etc.).

Children are supposed to be mentioned in the will and you also need to get your attorney's opinion about what Texas law says about this aspect.

Were the children specifically disinherited in this will, either by mentioning their exact names or in general terms?

The older unsigned will could have been an indication of his previous intention, but the bottom line is that he may have been concerned about wanting to provide for his wife and thus that is why he left everything to her, although I do understand your hurt feelings at being left out. Could he have been taking medication at the time he signed the will that would have affected his judgment? Do you suspect undue influence by the wife?

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])
DO you not know how to read? The supposed handwritten will WAS NOT SIGNED.

In Texas, for a holographic will to be valid IT MUST BE SIGNED.

JESUS H. CHRIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Dandy Don

Do YOU know how to read what I posted? I only mentioned the handwritten will as an aspect of the situation--I never said it was a valid will and I applaud you for pointing that out to the poster.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">