• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Social security disability and spousal support.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dandi237

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? Missouri.

My husband is 52 and I am 50. My husband is 100% disabled and receiving Social Security Disability since 2007. He was fully vested with the required 40 quarters at the time of his disability. When our two daughters were still minors they received monthly benefits and of course when they became adults the benefits stopped. Our youngest daughter stopped receiving benefits in November 2016. I have heard and read about social security spousal benefit. Is the spouse of someone receiving Social Security Disability eligible for such a benefit?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? Missouri.

My husband is 52 and I am 50. My husband is 100% disabled and receiving Social Security Disability since 2007. He was fully vested with the required 40 quarters at the time of his disability. When our two daughters were still minors they received monthly benefits and of course when they became adults the benefits stopped. Our youngest daughter stopped receiving benefits in November 2016. I have heard and read about social security spousal benefit. Is the spouse of someone receiving Social Security Disability eligible for such a benefit?
I have done a quick search at ssa.gov and I do not believe that there are any spousal benefits available for SSDI, when you are not yet at retirement age. Once your husband turns 62 and is switched to retirement benefits rather than SSDI, then you would be eligible for spousal benefits, if such benefits would be greater than your own benefit. You can search for more information at ssa.gov

FlyingRon

There are indeed spousal benefits for SSDI recipients, but it won't help in this case. If a younger person is getting SSDI, a spouse that reaches retirement age, can claim benefits. Had SSDI not been involved, a current spouse would need to wait until their spouse applied for their own benefits.

LdiJ

There are indeed spousal benefits for SSDI recipients, but it won't help in this case. If a younger person is getting SSDI, a spouse that reaches retirement age, can claim benefits. Had SSDI not been involved, a current spouse would need to wait until their spouse applied for their own benefits.
Ok, but in this case the person collecting SSDI is only 52 and the spouse is younger than he is...as you pointed out. That was my statement in the beginning of my post. That there are no available benefits when the OP is not yet at retirement age.

Janke

Twelve years from now, when you are 62 and if 1/2 of his is higher than yours.

Age 60 if he is deceased and his is higher than yours. Age 50 if he is deceased and you are disabled and his is higher than yours.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">