• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Social Security fraud

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



I am very confused and don't know what to do. My mother, who has had a very bad history of paying bills and has recently undergone bankruptcy, has used my social security number and my name to start up a new phone account. I did a credit check and it did not come up so I don't know which phone company it is. My husband has left messages with social security fraud offices but we have not gotten a response yet. We just had a baby and are ourselves struggling to make certain payments. We are very afraid that this new bill will not be paid and will come to affect us. I believe we are not responsible for this bill since I never authorized my mother to do this. Yet, I don't know what else I can do. We live in New Mexico and my mother lives in California. I think when the phone people did a credit check, they should have picked up that my current address is in New Mexico. I'm very upset at their mishandling of this issue. Do you have any suggestions?



I would disown you mother fast!

You know she has no money, so there will be no inheritance when she dies.

You really should try and explan this to the phone co, and see if you can charge your mother with fraud.

Or at least tell her she will not see her grandchild untill she pays you back the money.


Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential