• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Social Security Widow's Benefits

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wodiw

What is the name of your state? Ohio
If a wife started drawing Social Security at age 62 and her husband was already drawing SS at his full SS age can the wife switch to SS widow's benefits if her husband dies?

wodiw

Thank you for the quick response. I already checked there but the SS website did not really answer my question. If I was not already collecting my own SS I know that I could apply for SS widow's benefits but I am already collecting my own SS benefits which are substantially lower than my husband's SS benefits. My husband has a terminal illness so I guess I will have to wait and apply after he passes away. Thank you again.

Janke

What is the name of your state? Ohio
If a wife started drawing Social Security at age 62 and her husband was already drawing SS at his full SS age can the wife switch to SS widow's benefits if her husband dies?

Short answer is yes. An application must be filed. She may need to provide all marriage certificates and divorce decrees of any prior marriage as well as death certificates. Is her own benefit currently less than 1/2 the husband? She might be able to get the difference now after filing a spouse claim. May only be a few $$. But then when he dies, she will automatically convert to the increased amount without having to file a claim and supply proofs because that would have already been done.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">