• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SOL on Bad Check (Illinois)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

truth_seeker

What is the name of your state? Ilinois
Can someone tell me the SOL on NSF checks in Illinois? The check was for payment of rent. The landlord has a signed lease and the NSF check as documentation.

Veronica1228

truth_seeker said:
What is the name of your state? Ilinois
Can someone tell me the SOL on NSF checks in Illinois? The check was for payment of rent. The landlord has a signed lease and the NSF check as documentation.
A check is considered a written contract. Therefore, the SOL is 10 years in IL.

truth_seeker

Illinois again. Thank You, Veronica, for your response.

Follow-up: lease was signed by 2 roommates (boyfriend/girlfriend). they have now broken up. the bad rent check was written by one of the roommate on her personal checking account (roommate not named on account).

I assume that only the roommate who wrote the check can be named in a complaint about the bad check. However, since the check left unpaid rent, can LL sue both roommates for non-payment of rent in a separate suit?

Is this 2 different complaints? one civil, one criminal? How much can LL sue each roommate for? (50% of past due, 100%)?

Veronica1228

truth_seeker said:
Illinois again. Thank You, Veronica, for your response.

Follow-up: lease was signed by 2 roommates (boyfriend/girlfriend). they have now broken up. the bad rent check was written by one of the roommate on her personal checking account (roommate not named on account).

I assume that only the roommate who wrote the check can be named in a complaint about the bad check. However, since the check left unpaid rent, can LL sue both roommates for non-payment of rent in a separate suit?

Is this 2 different complaints? one civil, one criminal? How much can LL sue each roommate for? (50% of past due, 100%)?
Your follow up questions are beyond my expertise which is banking. I suggest you either repost the rest of your questions in the Real Estate Forum and see if someone like Homeguru can answer them for you, or if we're lucky, he'll be cruising the boards later, notice this thread and help you.

truth_seeker

posted on Real Estate/Tenant forum

Thanks Veronica. I have moved my post to the RE forum. I am new here, and did not know about all of the forums.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">