• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sold Possessions on Ebay. Claim on Income Tax? :(

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bent

Hello everyone,
Please consider the following situation:

I was unemployed in 2000. I payed rent and bills with credit cards (oh god) and selling basically anything I owned of value on ebay. Do I have to claim ebay as income on my State and Federal Tax forms? Do I even file? What are acceptable means of proof? Obviously I have no W2 forms to attach.

Income:
I probably scored $1 in interest off my "savings account".
Ebay notes I my sales total about $3900 minus $138 in fees.

My thoughts are:
1. I paid tax on the money I earned to purchase those items.
2. I paid sales tax when I purchased them.
3. I couldn't possibly owe any tax even if I did claim it.

I'm not too worried about an audit, not that I know what is involved, but it would take about 5 seconds for me to display my enormous credit debt and pathetic new job income which began in Jan 2001.

Any profesional or personal insight would be appreciated, especially regarding the proof of income or lack thereof.
Its time for me to get back on my feet, and I'd like to close this chapter of my life without any worries.

Thank you,
justin

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">