• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sold Used Car 1 Year Ago, Now Buyer Wants A Refund

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I sold a used car one year ago, the vehicle had a new state inspection at the time"Vermont". It's been a year, the buyer went to get the car inspected & the inspection station said the car was not inspectable & should not be on the road"In there opinion". Now the buyer is demanding I stand behind the vehicle & refund him the original purchase price or he's going to sue me. The vehicle was registered & insured in my name at the time of sale, not a dealer but I am a mechanic, the vehicle was in good running condition at the time of sale & had no issues that I was aware of, nor did the buyer get a pre-inspection or take the vehicle to a mechanic after the sale until now. The buyer is claiming I WAS aware the vehicle was not fit for the road & there mechanic says the current issues where present a year ago. I don't see how anyone can prove that the vehicle had the current issues a year ago, also I don't believe I am liable to stand behind a vehicle that was sold used & as-is a year ago. Any advice would be appreciated!

Just Blue

I sold a used car one year ago, the vehicle had a new state inspection at the time"Vermont". It's been a year, the buyer went to get the car inspected & the inspection station said the car was not inspectable & should not be on the road"In there opinion". Now the buyer is demanding I stand behind the vehicle & refund him the original purchase price or he's going to sue me. The vehicle was registered & insured in my name at the time of sale, not a dealer but I am a mechanic, the vehicle was in good running condition at the time of sale & had no issues that I was aware of, nor did the buyer get a pre-inspection or take the vehicle to a mechanic after the sale until now. The buyer is claiming I WAS aware the vehicle was not fit for the road & there mechanic says the current issues where present a year ago. I don't see how anyone can prove that the vehicle had the current issues a year ago, also I don't believe I am liable to stand behind a vehicle that was sold used & as-is a year ago. Any advice would be appreciated!
What state was the car sold in?

xylene

What age is the vehicle? How many miles when sold?
How much was the vehicle sold for?
Do you still have your copy of the bill of sale?

Absent some unusual situations, yes, this is an as-is sale. Also a year later is a massive amount of time for a hidden defect claim.

Vermont, car was a 2005 sold in nov 2018, so 13yrs old when I sold it, 200k+ miles, $2200, I have a copy of the bill of sale, sold as-is, no warranty

quincy

Vermont, car was a 2005 sold in nov 2018, so 13yrs old when I sold it, 200k+ miles, $2200, I have a copy of the bill of sale, sold as-is, no warranty
Based strictly on what you have said in your posts, it does not appear the buyer of your used vehicle has a claim for a refund that he could successfully support in court.

I didn't think he had any justification for demanding a refund no matter his threats, I mean, he said "I paid $2k for a car I only got a year out of, I don't think that's fare, So I'd be happy if you just paid me the $2200 & I'll keep quite, no reason to ruin your business or reputation". What business/reputation? I said I'm a mechanic, I work on my own cars, I don't have a business. I agree, it's not fare, but I sold a used car, as-is, I'm not a dealer, I'm not a fortune teller either, I can't predict what's going to happen to a car in a year, nor is it my responsibility as the previous owner to maintain the vehicle after i've sold it. So I guess I'm just going to call the owner & tell him that I am not obligated to purchase the vehicle back or stand behind any issues with the car a year after I sold it!

quincy

I didn't think he had any justification for demanding a refund no matter his threats, I mean, he said "I paid $2k for a car I only got a year out of, I don't think that's fare, So I'd be happy if you just paid me the $2200 & I'll keep quite, no reason to ruin your business or reputation". What business/reputation? I said I'm a mechanic, I work on my own cars, I don't have a business. I agree, it's not fare, but I sold a used car, as-is, I'm not a dealer, I'm not a fortune teller either, I can't predict what's going to happen to a car in a year, nor is it my responsibility as the previous owner to maintain the vehicle after i've sold it. So I guess I'm just going to call the owner & tell him that I am not obligated to purchase the vehicle back or stand behind any issues with the car a year after I sold it!
Or you could just ignore him and his calls.

xylene

Tbh, on a moral level, AND ONLY IF BUYER BROUGHT IT UP IN A few DAYS of purchase as uninspectable, should you have worked it out. That's not law but damn well right.

But a year out. Buyer is trying to take advantage of a situation that is 100% the result of his own inaction to inspect the vehicle in a timely fashion.

quincy

Tbh, on a moral level, AND ONLY IF BUYER BROUGHT IT UP IN A few DAYS of purchase as uninspectable, should you have worked it out. That's not law but damn well right.

But a year out. Buyer is trying to take advantage of a situation that is 100% the result of his own inaction to inspect the vehicle in a timely fashion.
It is the buyer's demand for a refund a year after purchase that makes it unreasonable. A lot can happen to a car in a year.

Xylene, I agree, if I had heard from the buyer within a reasonable time frame from purchasing the vehicle, I would not have hesitated to make things right. Quincy, yes, a lot can happen to a car in a year; wear & tear, rust....As much as I was aware, the vehicle was in really good condition & without issues when it was in my possession. I guess he thinks it was a 12 month test drive & now he's decided he doesn't want the car!? Thanks everyone for your input, I Really appreciate it!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">