• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

sole beneficiary of former spouses life insurance proceeds

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

nurseylp

What is the name of your state? Illinois
Good evening! I have a question and hope to find some useful info here.My former husband of 14yrs,died from a motorcycle accident in April of this yr. I recently found out that I am the "Sole Beneficiary" on his life insurance policy. We have been divorced for 3 yrs,however,he left me as the beneficiary of the insurance policy.We had no children together.Question is,in Illinois, is this still legal? I have been told by a few that it is,but I am still concerned.Please advise,and thanks so much

Dandy Don

This is a matter of such importance to you that you really do need to either consult with an attorney to get a definitive answer or make an inquiry with your State Insurance Commissioner to find out the answer to your question. You wouldn't want to wait until after the death occurs to find out whether or not you would qualify to receive this benefit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">