• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sole proprietor, can I add my business name to my EIN?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

And that is why I said earlier that it might be useful for the OP to have the business name associated with the EIN. If it is on the entity system and the EIN is correct, the IRS will pull up the entity info associated with the EIN, see the business name on the entity data and while it is not the name of the taxpayer, the IRS rep will be able to see that the taxpayer has a business with that name and make a match. If the name is not on the entity database then the IRS may not be able to make a successful match.
Thanks. That was the point of my original post. To help make it possible to match things up.

I've tried to get a corrected 1099 issued with the complete information including the EIN, but the people that issued it are disinclined to do it. Would that have solved any match problem? Is it possible to contact the IRS and help them match up the 1099?

Last edited:

mjpayne

Thanks. That was the point of my original post. To help make it possible to match things up.

I've tried to get a corrected 1099 issued with the complete information including the EIN, but the people that issued it are disinclined to do it. Would that have solved any match problem? Is it possible to contact the IRS and help them match up the 1099?
No. Don't stir the pot and don't worry so much about the IRS being able to match that 1099 that isn't even your responsibility to file. It's your employer's responsibility to issue the correct 1099. As long as you keep a record of your having given them the correct and complete information, you should be fine. Just make sure the 1099-MISC doesn't report more income than you received (like reporting $70000 instead of $700.00 when you only got $700). As long as the amount is correct, there's no reason to dig into it. Worst case scenario is you end up reporting more than they have in their system linked to your SSN/EIN, which is just fine.

quincy

... Nevertheless, my advice to OP is not to worry so much. As long as he reports all his income and does a reasonably good job of providing all his correct information to his employers when asked to do so, he should be fine....
Supersmallbiz was not worried. He asked a "can I" question.

Supersmallbiz, any worry should be in sorting the good information you have been provided in this thread (see: Taxing Matters posts) from the bad information you have been provided in this thread (see: mjpayne posts).

Again, Taxing Matters is a tax attorney. mjpayne has no legal background or knowledge. I suggest you wait for Taxing Matters to respond.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">