• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Soliciting

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Charged with soliciting with a prostitute in California, how can I not get kicked out?
If you get acquitted or the charges get dropped you should be able to stay in the military. But if you are convicted (including entering a plea agreement) that is another kettle of fish, as the expression goes. It is my understanding that a conviction could lead to a dishonorable discharge, forfeiture of pay, and imprisonment under the UCMJ. There may be things you can do, like diversion programs, that could help. Each branch of the military is a bit different on this. You really need to see a good lawyer who is familiar with the military and the UCMJ to help you.

FlyingRon

You need a good civilian lawyer for the civilian charges then you'll need someone (probably a different lawyer) familiar with UCMJ. Note that TM is not quite right that getting the civilian charges dismissed is sufficient to avoid military reprucussions. The military will do its own review as to whether the behavior alleged is substantiated. You can still be subject to military sanctions to include dishonerable discharge, loss of pay, and even confinement.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
You need a good civilian lawyer for the civilian charges then you'll need someone (probably a different lawyer) familiar with UCMJ. Note that TM is not quite right that getting the civilian charges dismissed is sufficient to avoid military reprucussions. The military will do its own review as to whether the behavior alleged is substantiated. You can still be subject to military sanctions to include dishonerable discharge, loss of pay, and even confinement.
I think you meant to type "insufficient", as Tbone (what an unfortunate choice of user names given the context) is still subject to being kicked out of the military even if the civilian charges don't stick.

FlyingRon

I think you meant to type "insufficient", as Tbone (what an unfortunate choice of user names given the context) is still subject to being kicked out of the military even if the civilian charges don't stick.
No, read the sentence carefully. I said that TM was not right when he said dismissal was sufficient.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">