• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

[SOLVED] Husband on SSDI, spouse is now 62

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dcbdbis

What is the name of your state? Colorado

I was placed on SSDI as a result of strokes 8 years ago. Now, my wife is 62 and qualifies for her normal SSI @ 62.

If she files, will this affect my SSDI?

THANK YOU!

Sincerely and respectfully,

Dave

Janke

It is not SSI, Supplemental Security Income. But she can file for Social Security Retirement as a spouse. Has zero impact on your SSDI. So can your former spouse who is age 62 and who was married to you for 10 years and is not currently married to anyone else. As well as any other former spouse who meets those requirements.

All spouse's benefits are reduced by an individual's own Social Security Retirement.

RSI is an acronym that could be used to describe Social Security Retirement and Survivor Insurance. Some earnings record and payment comps apply, but age and relationship is a determining factor, not disability.

FlyingRon

All spouse's benefits are reduced by an individual's own Social Security Retirement.
Eh? Spousal benefits are not affected by anybody else's retirement benefits.
The spouse will get the higher of what she is entitled to based on her own work history, or what the spousal (50% of the spouse's) benefit would be.

If you are old enough (born before 1954), you get to chose which you get. This allowed someone to collect on their spouse's benefit even if they would have been entitled to more on their own, and then switch at a later time (say when they turn 70 which ups their benefit amount).

Janke

If you were born before 1954, and filed your own retirement claim at Full Retirement Age (FRA), you could choose either your own or a spousal/widow benefit. If you filed a retirement claim before FRA, you were deemed to have filed on all records.

An individual is first paid on their own SSN. If their spousal benefit is higher than their own, they get the difference.

FlyingRon

An individual is first paid on their own SSN. If their spousal benefit is higher than their own, they get the difference.
They get the higher of the two, not the difference.

Your first comment is correct. If you were born before 1954 you could choose either one. This let you pick the spousal benefit until you reach 7u0 and then jump to a then (starting at age 70) amount for yourself. I got a good friend who's doing this now.

dcbdbis

To Clarify. I am on SSDI due to strokes. My wife (a tad older) has just turned 62 and is considering drawing her normal Social Security Retirement that she now qualifies for.

A secondary question I would like to ask is: When does my SSDI end and revert to Social Security Retirement? Or does it?

Thank you all for your replies.

Dave

LdiJ

To Clarify. I am on SSDI due to strokes. My wife (a tad older) has just turned 62 and is considering drawing her normal Social Security Retirement that she now qualifies for.

A secondary question I would like to ask is: When does my SSDI end and revert to Social Security Retirement? Or does it?

Thank you all for your replies.

Dave
We understood you the first time around. Yes, your SSDI will revert to SS Retirement on your normal retirement date.

dcbdbis

Please forgive me - what is my "Normal Retirement Date" When I am 62, 65, or when?

Sincerely and respectfully,

Dave

ShyCat

Age 62 is the age for reduced early retirement benefits. Your full retirement age depends on what year you were born. It is 67 for those born in 1960 or later. If you were born in 1957, it would be 66 years and 6 months. Add another two months for 1958 and another for 1959. Your SSDI switches to retirement when you reach full retirement age.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">