• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Some Advice Please?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

joviallen

What is the name of your state? North Carolina
I went and filed out an application at the Department of Social Services for child support against my son's father. I met with the worker and gave her all the information that I had on him because my son and I have been in a financial bind and needed some help. I get a call from her about two weeks later and she is not happy that she is calling me, she was talking really fast, kept trying to say that I had a job when I didn't, she did say that she would pursue the absent parent but her tone was really nasty. I ended the call by asking for her supervisors name and number and she transferred the call to her supervisor without even telling me good bye. She lied! She never filed the paperwork! I tried calling her supervisor and she never returned my call. What do I do? I have no idea????????????

I went and filed out an application at the Department of Social Services for child support against my son's father. I met with the worker and gave her all the information that I had on him because my son and I have been in a financial bind and needed some help. I get a call from her about two weeks later and she is not happy that she is calling me, she was talking really fast, kept trying to say that I had a job when I didn't, she did say that she would pursue the absent parent but her tone was really nasty. I ended the call by asking for her supervisors name and number and she transferred the call to her supervisor without even telling me good bye. She lied! She never filed the paperwork! I tried calling her supervisor and she never returned my call. What do I do? I have no idea????????????
Call again and don't even talk to the person who answers and ask immediately for a supervisor. Say I will stay on hold until he or his superior is put on the phone. Report the employee to them and find out how you can file to garnish his wages.

Eekamouse

I imagine that there is a whole lot more to this situation than what you've written here. Care to flesh out more of the details? You might get a more helpful answer if we have the entire story.

286CSO

All right, because I’m feeling generous:

1. Great that you applied for child support services with the state. What you did is the first step. It opened a case at the State/county level.
2. The intake worker you met with is in the information gathering phase of the case. That means she is verifying all the information you provided and attempting to gather additional information. She does this by running names, addresses, birthdates, and SSNs through all the databases she has access to. She looking for matches on addresses and employment information.
3. You felt she “had a tone” when she asked about your employment info.It sounds as though she got a hit that your SSN was being used by someone to gain employment. (So if it’s not you, someone’s using you SSN.)
4. OF COURSE nothing has been filed. The information gathering phase means that the case worker needs to obtain and verify identity, address and employment information and history for both of you before she can even begin to run the numbers. In addition, there are other things that need to be addressed.
*Has paternity been established?
*Is there any kind of custody order out there? (Most of the time these would have addressed support, but hey, I’ve seen some odd things.
*Is there any kind of informal parenting time schedule in place? Sometimes these things affect support.
5. Once the information gathering phase is over, she can draft and FILE a proposed order, schedule a hearing, and all the fun legal stuff.

This whole process can take anywhere from 2-12 months (or more) depending on how easy it can be to locate the other party, gather and verify information and serve the parties. And then you most likely have to wait another 1-3 months for your hearing, and if its not contested, 30-90 days after that for an order, 30 days after that or so for the child support office to get it sent off to an employer and another 1-2 months for payments to begin flowing—IF the other party doesn’t go walkabout or change employers or intentional try to subvert the system.

This is not a quick process. The fastest I’ve seen still took roughly 6-9 to get payment going from application to payment, and that’s with everything going smoothly across the board.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">