• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Some of my rent security was held

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

katieg376

What is the name of your state? NJ

1st problem - rented a place from a friend.... will never do that again

The weekend of July 30-31, my husband and I moved us out of this apartment we were renting. On July 31, my father and I stayed at the apartment very late cleaning the apartment. We shampooed the rugs in the house and even polished the kitchen floor. My mother who has a very strong sense of smell, came into the apt to make sure there were no odors. We lived in the apt with our toddler son. I loaded my cooler up with the items in the fridge and called my landlord to tell her I still had some items in the firdge and I would return the next day to remove the rest after work. My family and I moved an hour away. The next day I removed most of the items (what my cooler could fit, I only left about 10 items) and took all the garbage cans to the curb for garbage pickup the next day. My landlord called me the next morning while I was in route to work and asked when I was going to remove the items from the fridge,,, she had work to do in the house. I told her I would get rid of it... I stopped at work and grabbed a garbage bag and went to the apt. What I could not fit in the cooler I threw away. I also tried to clean the fridge as best I could.

On August 31, I received letter via return receipt saying that she was deducting $1300. for the following:

$200 for a cleaning service
$250 for carpet cleaning
$850 for repainting

She sent pictures of the fridge (yes it did need to be cleaned). Actually one of the pics was before I removed the items. She sent pictures of the walls showing holes from pictures that were not patched up.

When she was showing the apt. she told my husband that she was going to repaint the apt.

She also showed pics of the recycling can. The town has recycling pickup only 2x a month. We put out what we had 2 weeks before we moved and the next pickup was scheduled for the Wed. after we moved out.

What should I do? My family is telling me I should take her to small clamis court,,, my father said he could go to court to testify the work that was done. I read online that a landlord cannot charge you if the apt is broom clean and we went above that witht he exception of inside the fridge.

I was going to ask for receipts, but her boyfriend does contracting and I am sure he could get receipts if she needed it.

Please advise!!! sorry so long

How long did you live there?
Have you reviewed the lease regarding deposit return, etc?

This just sounds like one of those classic cases that will come down to a judgement call. If the landlord followed the appropriate rules regarding the amount of time to return your deposit and/or itemize deductions then it's just a matter of who presents the strongest case. If she has photos, can produce receipts and all you have is the word of your father chances are her case will seem more "believable".

If you have receipts for having the carpet shampooed and or anything else you could try replying to her letter with one of your own stating that you already had the carpets cleaned, you'd like that $$ returned, etc. You could indicate in your letter that you "hope an amicable solution can be reached to avoid taking further action" or something.

We haven't seen the condition of the place before or after you lived there, so no one can say for sure.

Who's Liable?

Did you give written notice to the LL of your NEW address and where you could be contacted?

Did you send a WRITTEN demand that your deposit be returned with an itemized list of all deductions, or per your states LL/T laws?

Did you take photos of every room clearly showing the condition of the unit when you vacated?

Did you physically give ther keys back to the LL, or just leave them on the counter?

Did you move out on time as per your lease agreement?

Did you give written notice to the LL as per your lease and states LL/T laws?

If you haven't done ANY of the above, then you're screwed...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">