• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Somebody broke my laptop, what can I do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TentMan

I'm attending college in Wisconsin. In class today this guy kicked my backpack as he was walking past. I don't think it was intentional, but he broke my laptop. It won't turn on and the USB slots are too bent to accept anything.

I didn't get a look at his face since I didn't know he had broken anything at the time. I emailed my professor, and she gave me his name and email.

I've never had anything like this happen to me before, and I'm unsure what to do next. I haven't emailed him yet, and I'm wondering if I should just go ahead, email him and ask if he's willing to pay for repairs or replacement, or if there's something else I should do first.

Just Blue

I'm attending college in Wisconsin. In class today this guy kicked my backpack as he was walking past. I don't think it was intentional, but he broke my laptop. It won't turn on and the USB slots are too bent to accept anything.

I didn't get a look at his face since I didn't know he had broken anything at the time. I emailed my professor, and she gave me his name and email.

I've never had anything like this happen to me before, and I'm unsure what to do next. I haven't emailed him yet, and I'm wondering if I should just go ahead, email him and ask if he's willing to pay for repairs or replacement, or if there's something else I should do first.
Where was the backpack/laptop when it was kicked?

PayrollHRGuy

Well, you can email him and say, "Hello, you kicked my backpack in class the other day an broke my computer. Please send me a check for $XXX.XX."

When he stops laughing he will probably delete your email as he should because I think you would be hard pressed to prove he broke your computer.

How does one bend a slot?

PayrollHRGuy

I just looked at three different laptops from three different makers. On all three one would have to kick the heck out of it to bend the slot because it is surrounded by the case.

PayrollHRGuy

He pretty-much did kick the heck out of it.
I believe that had someone kicked the heck out of a backpack that held my computer I would have looked at that moment. But even if you did you would be hard pressed to prove the damage was caused by the kicker unless the damage matched his shoe.

TentMan

I believe that had someone kicked the heck out of a backpack that held my computer I would have looked at that moment. But even if you did you would be hard pressed to prove the damage was caused by the kicker unless the damage matched his shoe.
Even though I have at least one witness who saw him kick my laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">