• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Someone (including a worker) recording me?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bigboi29

What is the name of your state? CA. I have concerns I forgot to signal while changing lanes. How likely is it that someone (not a cop on duty) recorded me, shows me to traffic enforcement, and I’ll be in trouble for it like a ticket? I was worried I was recorded by someone I don’t get along with while he was working. But I doubt he’d do that since his job doesn’t allow it.

doucar

You are worrying about little to nothing. Police have better things to do, unless what you did was reckless and almost cause an accident and then I would say it would be at best 50/50.

bcr229

What is the name of your state? CA. I have concerns I forgot to signal while changing lanes. How likely is it that someone (not a cop on duty) recorded me, shows me to traffic enforcement, and I’ll be in trouble for it like a ticket? I was worried I was recorded by someone I don’t get along with while he was working. But I doubt he’d do that since his job doesn’t allow it.
I have a dash cam in my car and give the truly egregious/dangerous infractions to a friend who is a cop. The footage usually doesn't show the driver clearly so he can't issue a citation, but the video can be passed on to the insurance company of record based on the car's registration.

bigboi29

I have a dash cam in my car and give the truly egregious/dangerous infractions to a friend who is a cop. The footage usually doesn't show the driver clearly so he can't issue a citation, but the video can be passed on to the insurance company of record based on the car's registration.
So you’re saying that the odds are extremely unlikely as well?

quincy

If changing lanes without signaling is the extent of what you did, and there was no accompanying hazard presented by this lane change, it seems highly unlikely that anything will come from this.

What drives your worry?

adjusterjack

the video can be passed on to the insurance company of record based on the car's registration.
No police department is going to take the time to send videos to insurance companies and nothing goes on a driver's record except convictions and accidents that generate a police report.

I'm sure that your friend is amused by the videos but that's as far as they are likely to get.

quincy

No police department is going to take the time to send videos to insurance companies and nothing goes on a driver's record except convictions and accidents that generate a police report.

I'm sure that your friend is amused by the videos but that's as far as they are likely to get.
If a dash cam video captures a major traffic violation, however, the police could find it helpful, and investigate.

bcr229

In six years I've only passed along two instances. The first was for a rather distinctive car where they'd already received a ton of reports going back over a year but had never been able to catch the driver. This wasn't someone changing lanes without signaling; that happens all day every day and doesn't even get a yawn. We're talking excessive speed, passing multiple vehicles on blind curve/uphill back country roads with a double-yellow line, forcing other drivers to the shoulder so they didn't get hit when the driver cut back over, etc. This driver was going to kill someone eventually.

The other was for what I suspect was a DUI and I did call 911 but the car turned into a driveway before the cops arrived. I did mention on the call that I had a dash cam and a deputy came out to collect the footage from me shortly afterward so hopefully they were able to use it.

bigboi29

If changing lanes without signaling is the extent of what you did, and there was no accompanying hazard presented by this lane change, it seems highly unlikely that anything will come from this.

What drives your worry?
I suppose my ocd

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Let's put it this way.

The odds that you were recorded at all are extremely slim.

Even if you were, the odds that they would send that recording to the police are very slim.

Even if they did, the odds that the police would care enough about such a minor matter as changing lanes without signaling are almost non-existent.

I know it's hard to fight OCD. But the possibility that you're going to have anything to deal with over this are truly not worth worrying about.

bigboi29

Let's put it this way.

The odds that you were recorded at all are extremely slim.

Even if you were, the odds that they would send that recording to the police are very slim.

Even if they did, the odds that the police would care enough about such a minor matter as changing lanes without signaling are almost non-existent.

I know it's hard to fight OCD. But the possibility that you're going to have anything to deal with over this are truly not worth worrying about.
People thank you for understanding. Do the same principles YOU said apply for if I ran a red light but no accident occurred?

quincy

People thank you for understanding. Do the same principles YOU said apply for if I ran a red light but no accident occurred?
If a traffic infraction is a serious one or potentially a serious one, the odds of someone reporting the infraction is probably far greater than someone reporting a minor infraction. Few are going to care about a failure to signal a lane change unless this failure caused or almost caused an accident. Running a red light is generally more risky and, therefore, more dangerous.

If you are contacted by the police, I suggest you speak with an attorney in your area.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
However, I still think that even if you had run a red light (and no accident occurred):

1.) The odds that you were recorded at all do not change - it's still highly unlikely
2.) Even if you were, while the odds that the recording would be sent to the police might go up slightly, the odds are still too low to be of concern
3.) Even if it was, the police have far bigger problems to deal with than an after-the-fact running of a red light that caused no damages.

I still think that the odds overall that you would be contacted by the police, even if you had run a red light, are still too low to be worth the amount of concern you're exhibiting. And since you DIDN'T run a red light, there's no reason to be concerned at all.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">