• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Someone is currently suing me for a breach of contract that I had never signed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mc168

You need to start with where it came from. You’ve given no info that would allow anybody to know why you’re being sued and realistically how you got there.
My mother want a property sold. Her name was removed from the grant deed some 10-12 years ago. However, the real estate broker claims that her name is in the grant deed title. After the real estate broker obtained my mother's signing on all purchasing contract and listing agreement, the broker realized that my name is on the grant deed title, so the broker write-print-signed my name on these contracts himself.
I wasn't aware my name was in the grant deed or not at the time my mother signed the contract. However, the buyer quit buying and ask for purchase cancellation, and request for their earnest fee back to them. No single person ever contacting my mother and guiding her the process of purchase cancellation procedures.
Two month later, I received the buyer's attorney suing me for breach of contract!! I contacted the County Assessor to verify whos name is actually on the grant deed (it's my name, my mother is not even in it). Then I contacted the escrow company and veryfied that my mother is the person that supposed to sign the purchase cancellation. I provided these information in the form of letter with escrow company's letterhead, to the opposing council, and stated that I am not the person who can sign and cancel the purchase, nor the person to return the earnest fee. The opposing council did not take my word, and drag the case along for nearly a year, that I finally found out my name was forged and signed by the real estate broker who led to a result that I was being sued.

justalayman

You didn’t know you owned the property?

With the description, it doesn’t sound difficult to prevail in your case. While you would still have to prove your signature was forged, it sounds like you should prevail once that is proven

quincy

You can rely on your current attorney to handle the suit or you can hire a new attorney or you can handle the suit on your own (not recommended). I am not seeing other options for the lawsuit.

I suggest you make an appointment with your current attorney to discuss the status of your case. You have the right to know what is happening.

And you can file a police complaint against the forger.

mc168

You can rely on your current attorney to handle the suit or you can hire a new attorney or you can handle the suit on your own (not recommended). I am not seeing other options for the lawsuit.

I suggest you make an appointment with your current attorney to discuss the status of your case. You have the right to know what is happening.

And you can file a police complaint against the forger.
Thanks for the advice!
Yes, I will move forward to discuss with my current attorney to make sure if it's a plus to filing a police complaint against the forger!

mc168

You didn’t know you owned the property?

With the description, it doesn’t sound difficult to prevail in your case. While you would still have to prove your signature was forged, it sounds like you should prevail once that is proven
Thanks for your sharing!
I wasn't sure that time if my name was on the grant deed, especially when the broker told my mother that she's the title holder. So, I didn't get into the contract signing process at all. It was until the buyer quits purchase for any reason, I started to request information from escrow company, county assessor to realize that real estate broker did a real messy work.

justalayman

And now you speak as if you were involved in the sale prior to the signing of the contracts.

The fact you were involved when the buyer rescinded his offer to purchase would be a very odd place to be if you were not an owner of the property. Why would you care? Why would you bother to request info from anybody?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">