• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Someone just hit my car from behind and we both have insurance. What do I do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TimTiver

Hey guys. Thank you for coming here, so I will just get right into it. I am in Florida and I was driving to a local restaurant. I put my turn signal on and slowed down to turn into a restaurant. As soon as I turned in, I felt a large impact from behind and was thrown to the front along with my passenger. We both had our seat belts on but the air bags did not deploy. I called the police and the emergency vehicles came out. I did not go in the ambulance from the scene and neither did my passenger.

The driver who hit me it looks like his car was totaled because he had to get it towed. I was able to drive my car away from the scene, but now it has a check engine light on when it did not have it before the accident.

We both have insurance and they are from two different companies. I filed a police report and have all of the drivers information. I tried to call my insurance company but unfortunately they are closed today so I am not able to report it. I will report the accident to my insurance, but should I file a claim? I have the lowest one personal injury protection up to $10,000 I think.

I am not sure what to do, but my parents tell me I need to go to the hospital and get checked out.

My head hurts, and my whole body hurts on the right side from my head, shoulder, neck, and back.

As for my passenger, I am pretty sure he will go to the hospital as well, probably get some lawyers and see what his options is.

I have a lawyer coming tomorrow to visit me to consult with me. Do you guys have any advice on how what questions I should ask?

I looked up the value of my car and it's KBB is about $1500.00 (2004 Honda Accord EX) Disappointing because I paid $6000 for it.

justalayman

Get medical attention if you were injured.

Then calm down

Tomorrow contact your insurance company.

If you have collision on your vehicle you could consider making a claim against your policy. Your insurance provider with subrogate the claim against the other party. You could also simply file a claim for your damages with the other party’s insurance.

Keep the personal injury out of the discussion until you know if you are truly injured. Deal with property damage only for now.

If you don’t have collision skip the part about making a claim with your insurance and go to step two.

Just Blue

Hey guys. Thank you for coming here, so I will just get right into it. I am in Florida and I was driving to a local restaurant. I put my turn signal on and slowed down to turn into a restaurant. As soon as I turned in, I felt a large impact from behind and was thrown to the front along with my passenger. We both had our seat belts on but the air bags did not deploy. I called the police and the emergency vehicles came out. I did not go in the ambulance from the scene and neither did my passenger.

The driver who hit me it looks like his car was totaled because he had to get it towed. I was able to drive my car away from the scene, but now it has a check engine light on when it did not have it before the accident.

We both have insurance and they are from two different companies. I filed a police report and have all of the drivers information. I tried to call my insurance company but unfortunately they are closed today so I am not able to report it. I will report the accident to my insurance, but should I file a claim? I have the lowest one personal injury protection up to $10,000 I think.

I am not sure what to do, but my parents tell me I need to go to the hospital and get checked out.

My head hurts, and my whole body hurts on the right side from my head, shoulder, neck, and back.

As for my passenger, I am pretty sure he will go to the hospital as well, probably get some lawyers and see what his options is.

I have a lawyer coming tomorrow to visit me to consult with me. Do you guys have any advice on how what questions I should ask?

I looked up the value of my car and it's KBB is about $1500.00 (2004 Honda Accord EX) Disappointing because I paid $6000 for it.
When did this accident happen?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">